Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best hops to pair with Galaxy  (Read 20853 times)

Offline KidLightning

• 1st Kit
Re: Best hops to pair with Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 09:08:29 am »
Personally, I think that the pine from Simcoe or Chinook would be the best balance for the fairly aggressive tropical/ fruity character of Galaxy, especially in something like a black IPA. Sounds like a great beer. Let us know how it comes out!

Thanks, I'm starting to lean that way myself. At first the Galaxy wasn't as fruity as I expected, and I was actually getting more pine, even a little earthy, characteristics from the fermenter. But that may have been in part from the yeast (Wyeast 1217) which supposedly gives off some strong smells at the start.

As fermentation is slowing down (brewed this on Saturday), however, more of those fruity aromas I expected from Galaxy are prevalent. I took a whiff this morning and it was definitely tropical fruit with some malt underneath, and maybe just a slight hint of pine. I think using Chinook or Simcoe, along with more Galaxy, in the dry hop will be a nice complement.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:05:43 am by KidLightning »

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:47 am »
i made a Galaxy and Cascade amber (recipe is on the forum) that turned out dynamite.  The two complemented each other perfectly.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 01:39:48 pm »
i made a Galaxy and Cascade amber (recipe is on the forum) that turned out dynamite.  The two complemented each other perfectly.
Nice. I'll be doing a 50/50 Ahtanum/Galaxy IPA soon. Hoping it turns out as I've never brewed with either before.
Jesse

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:00 am »
It seems that Simcoe is a great wingman hop. I've used it 50/50 split now with Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Amarillo and Cascade. Loved every one of them,

Offline KidLightning

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:58 am »
I've decided on pairing mine with Simcoe in the dry hop. I had a tiny, flat, room temp sample on Saturday and it was pretty good as-is, especially for being such a big beer and only a week old. Finished right at 1.016 like I wanted but, due to the hops and the dark malts, seemed drier.

I'm going to let it condition this week, start the first half of the dry hop on Saturday morning (1 oz. Galaxy; 1/2 oz. Simcoe) and the second half next Monday night, cold crash next Thursday and bottle or keg (haven't decided yet) on Saturday 11/8.