Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another newbie...  (Read 2629 times)

Offline WWBF

• 1st Kit
Another newbie...
« on: November 15, 2016, 03:59:36 pm »
Day 2 of fermentation and my airlock hasnt bubbled however but I can smell the odors emitting from the bucket. It does appear that the liquid is fermenting since it is bubbling when I took a look inside. Crusty residue on the sides of the bucket and layer of foam on top. It appears the lid on the bucket doesn't 100% seal since i pushed down on it and while holding it down the air appears to release through the airlock. What do you suggest i do next to make sure i don't lose the batch?   

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Another newbie...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:07:00 pm »
As long as you leave it alone, it should be fine. Avoid the temptation to open up the bucket until it is time for a gravity reading after 7 days or so.

I have had fermenters not seal completely, and the beers did not suffer for it. Again, leave the lid on the fermenter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »
Totally disagree about the worry behind opening the bucket. You can crack the lid, no need to worry about that. Just don't sneeze or flick a booger in there.

Sometimes bucket lids don't seal properly and it is easier for the gas to escape through the leak than the airlock. From the sounds of it your beer is fermenting away. Get a rubber mallet and gently tap around the bucket lid and see if it will seal.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:14:00 pm »
Although they are cheap and convenient an airlock is just an aid, don't get used to relying on whether there are bubbles or not. 
A clear fermenter will help more. You can see the yeast in action fermenting through to floculation.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 07:22:50 pm »
Just don't sneeze or flick a booger in there.

I thought that was the recommended way to start a wild fermentation...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:44:09 pm »
I thought that was the recommended way to start a wild fermentation...
Only for beard beer
Brian
mobrewer

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 03:15:03 pm »
😂😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 10:10:51 am »

Sometimes bucket lids don't seal properly and it is easier for the gas to escape through the leak than the airlock. From the sounds of it your beer is fermenting away. Get a rubber mallet and gently tap around the bucket lid and see if it will seal.

In the past I have used my hands or a mallet. This morning I became concerned because I hadn't seen any airlock activity on an ESB brewed two days ago, and I've never not observed ANY airlock activity in 8 years of brewing. I used my hands and the bucket lid seemed tight. The bucket is on the floor (in the best spot in the house to keep it between 66 and 68), so I gently applied my knee in several spots. On the third or fourth try, I heard a soft click. I generally avoid opening buckets during fermentation, but just to make sure, I briefly opened the bucket and could see the yeast was very busy. I used my new "knee to the bucket" method to ensure a tight seal once I closed it up, and the airlock immediately began clicking away.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 12:58:17 pm »

In the past I have used my hands or a mallet. This morning I became concerned because I hadn't seen any airlock activity on an ESB brewed two days ago, and I've never not observed ANY airlock activity in 8 years of brewing. I used my hands and the bucket lid seemed tight. The bucket is on the floor (in the best spot in the house to keep it between 66 and 68), so I gently applied my knee in several spots. On the third or fourth try, I heard a soft click. I generally avoid opening buckets during fermentation, but just to make sure, I briefly opened the bucket and could see the yeast was very busy. I used my new "knee to the bucket" method to ensure a tight seal once I closed it up, and the airlock immediately began clicking away.
I recently ditched the bucket for fermenting. Soeidel makes a nice setup with screw to lids and gaskets.
category/speidel-plastic-beer-fermenters.html

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 07:32:09 pm »

I recently ditched the bucket for fermenting. Soeidel makes a nice setup with screw to lids and gaskets.

Was there a reason to move from buckets to the Speidel? I went from buckets to Better Bottles and back to buckets (I use 5-gal food grade buckets for 3-gal batches). My last tweak in the process was to drill a couple of the buckets for spigots so I can now drain directly from the bucket into the keg.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 01:10:02 am »

Was there a reason to move from buckets to the Speidel? I went from buckets to Better Bottles and back to buckets (I use 5-gal food grade buckets for 3-gal batches). My last tweak in the process was to drill a couple of the buckets for spigots so I can now drain directly from the bucket into the keg.
You dont have to kneel on the lid to close it.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:20:33 am »

You dont have to kneel on the lid to close it.

Eh, to each their own. :-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member