Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast January - March PCs  (Read 8533 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Wyeast January - March PCs
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2016, 05:16:00 am »
Reading the descriptions of the 3 upcoming PCs, I think I'll give 1026 a shot on a session bitter and session stout. I've got a bunch of golden promise, some roasted and flaked barley, and a few English hops. Target, challenger, and EKG I think

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2016, 09:55:34 am »
I just had a thought (insert your favorite rare thought joke here). Would the 1026 yeast cake be up to putting a RIS of about 1.100 on it?
Wyeast says it's good to 9%.

Might not work then, luckily it will be a bit before I do this so there's time to do a bit more research.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2016, 12:04:15 pm »
I just had a thought (insert your favorite rare thought joke here). Would the 1026 yeast cake be up to putting a RIS of about 1.100 on it?
Wyeast says it's good to 9%.

Might not work then, luckily it will be a bit before I do this so there's time to do a bit more research.
I have yet to meet a yeast that cannot exceed the yeast lab's reported max ABV if managed properly, and generally by a considerable amount.

A fresh slurry coming off a 1.060ish beer from most brewing strains will do just fine on a 1.100 beer as long as you oxygenate well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2016, 04:01:25 pm »
I have yet to meet a yeast that cannot exceed the yeast lab's reported max ABV if managed properly, and generally by a considerable amount.

A fresh slurry coming off a 1.060ish beer from most brewing strains will do just fine on a 1.100 beer as long as you oxygenate well.

That's what I was kinda thinkin'.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
1026 has made terrific EIPA for me. Will be using it again for that purpose. I seemed to really let the hops shine.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2016, 08:51:50 am »

That's what I was kinda thinkin'.

I agree with Eric.  The Wyeast recommendations tend to be pretty conservative.  You need a healthy big pitch and plenty of oxygenation and you should be fine.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 02:02:41 pm »
So... how quickly are these Platinum Collection yeasts available?  I am brewing on 1-1-17 with my neighborhood group for our annual kick off brew day, so I suppose they won't be available that early, right?

A nice bitter sounds like a great choice anytime./
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 02:05:14 pm »
So... how quickly are these Platinum Collection yeasts available?  I am brewing on 1-1-17 with my neighborhood group for our annual kick off brew day, so I suppose they won't be available that early, right?

A nice bitter sounds like a great choice anytime./

Just a guess, but probably not.  Ask your LHBS.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell