Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tap Lock  (Read 4663 times)

Offline bryanp10197

• 1st Kit
Tap Lock
« on: November 16, 2016, 01:35:38 pm »
I just got a new kegerator and I've noticed my 3 year old eyeing those pretty new handles on the front... they would be great to pull on! I've been looking online for options to lock those tap handles but I'm not a big fan of what I'm seeing. Has anyone made a good, maybe low profile, locking system for their system?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Tap Lock
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:12 pm »
I've seen people use rods to block the handles. I've seen locked in place and simply clipped in place.

Offline bryanp10197

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »
I will look into that but I don't want to ruin the look of the kegerator with a bar going across the front. I'm thinking a shut off valve inside the fridge might work but then again I still run the risk of my son breaking the handle (I guess that risk comes with the territory).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 04:44:50 pm »
I'm thinking a shut off valve inside the fridge might work but then again I still run the risk of my son breaking the handle (I guess that risk comes with the territory).

I don't know, the key lock type would seem to keep the tap handle from moving, at least at the hand of a 3 year old. Wouldn't think he would be able to break it off if it were immobilized. As my kids get older, I'll probably be going in that direction.

http://rapidswholesale.com/faucet-lock.html?gclid=CJzi86O5rtACFdgYgQodWQwJkg

Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:40:56 am »
If my kids are anything like me, I will need some tap locks when they are teenagers. I will probably just disconnect the liquid posts and put a lock on the fridge door...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bryanp10197

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »
http://rapidswholesale.com/faucet-lock.html?gclid=CJzi86O5rtACFdgYgQodWQwJkg

That and the wrap-around are all I can find but I don't like the look of them. I was hoping someone had made something a little more low-profile and better looking.

I'm not worried about my son breaking the handle if there is a lock on it. But if I don't put a lock on it I'm worried he will try to hang on it or something.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:05:28 pm »
I just got a new kegerator and I've noticed my 3 year old eyeing those pretty new handles on the front... they would be great to pull on! I've been looking online for options to lock those tap handles but I'm not a big fan of what I'm seeing. Has anyone made a good, maybe low profile, locking system for their system?
So, your 3 year old likes beer.  That's a good sign that you will have a future brew-buddy.   :)   Enjoy it!
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline bryanp10197

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 01:20:33 pm »
So, your 3 year old likes beer.  That's a good sign that you will have a future brew-buddy.   :)   Enjoy it!

He has always loved helping!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »
In line butterfly valve with hose barbs on one side, direct to the faucet on the other? Then a padlock on the outside?  I am just kicking around ideas.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 01:21:54 pm »
What about those flow control faucets? You could turn the flow all the way down/off and nothing or not much shoukd come out if he was to pull the handle.

Offline bryanp10197

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »
So far I haven't had any issues. Eventually I think I'll put a shut off valve in the line inside the fridge. I haven't seen the flow control faucets before, they look cool. Anyone using these? How do they work overall?