Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FedEx or UPS??  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
Re: FedEx or UPS??
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 09:14:13 am »
UPS.  Only have a problem once out of 30 shipments. FedEx is much more expensive.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Peculiar Thomas

• 1st Kit
  • Just a Peculiar Character
    • Of a Peculiar Character
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:24 am »
I've only ever used Fedex, out of convenience. Out of about ten shipments over the last year and a half, they have broken two but I blame my packaging, not their handling. I read somewhere to preprint labels to avoid the conversation they want to have over packages marked fragile and I think that has helped. Every package where I've preprinted the labels, they treat it more like a drop off and don't seem to care about contents and reasons for the fragile label.

I agree with pete b: pack it so doesn't matter.

I've shipped for bottle shares not competitions. Since I am sending out bombers to friends, I invested a bit in a 6 pack of U-Line wine bottle shippers. I add a little bit of brown paper or bubble wrap to fill the extra space. None of my shipments using these shippers has been a problem--both packages that ended with broken bottles were hand packed with other materials.

I have also had success re-using the packing material my Noble Brewer subscription comes in. I have had one breakage re-using those shippers, which hold four bombers very neatly. In that case, the packaging was damaged on receipt, even though the bottles were intact. I tried to shore it up with packing tape and bubble wrap, a mistake I won't repeat.

I am not sure I'd recommend the U-Line shippers for competitions, though, due to the added expense. When doing bottle shares, I ask my friends to send them back, even empty, since they stand up very well to re-use.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 11:06:45 am »
I am a UPS guy.  Years ago, I had a bottle break in a FedEx shipment.  They brought the dripping box to my office, and told me I was blackballed from ever shipping with them again. :o

I actually go to a private shipping store to ship UPS, as I do not like dealing with UPS directly.