Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Final gravity  (Read 2447 times)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Final gravity
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »
So I split my last batch in 2. I bottled one half and then racked to a secondary and added a syrup made of honey and ginger.
The FG when I split the batch was 1.011. I just checked the gravity of the beer in secondary it was 1.020.
What the heck? I expected it to go down further and dry out the finished product while adding a little ginger flavor.
When I added the syrup that must of  spiked the gravity above 1.020 and 1.020 is where it finished. I guess I should have checked gravity right after I added the syrup.

I checked the gravity (after calibrating it) using my new equipment wich arrived in the mail yesterday. I found it on that Internet auction site for $25. My local homebrew store wanted $60 for it.
I couldn't pass up the deal.

Thoughts or remarks on either topic please.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Final gravity
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:39:51 pm »
Refractometers require a correction to measure FG "correctly." I don't even know how to use a refractometers when adding MORE fermentables to a beer. Did you measure the gravity after adding the syrup?

I only use a refractometer to monitor progress and use a hydrometer to get real numbers.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:50:12 pm »
Refractometers require a correction to measure FG "correctly." I don't even know how to use a refractometers when adding MORE fermentables to a beer. Did you measure the gravity after adding the syrup?

I only use a refractometer to monitor progress and use a hydrometer to get real numbers.
No sir I did not check after adding the syrup. I've done the same in the past by adding frozen fruit to the secondary and the gravity just went close to zero.
Before bottling maybe I'll take a hydrometer reading and see what it says.

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:25:40 am »
I always use the refractometer for pre-pitch readings, after fermentation, back to the old school. I tried using the correction on beersmith but it was still off when compared to the hydro. Too bad too, every test with a hydro is a drink or two of beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:45:34 am »
I always use the refractometer for pre-pitch readings, after fermentation, back to the old school. I tried using the correction on beersmith but it was still off when compared to the hydro. Too bad too, every test with a hydro is a drink or two of beer.

Exactly why I thought using the refractometer would be more beneficial for me. I brew 3 gallon batches and my hydrometer requires 4 oz to sample.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:46:57 am »

So why not drink it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:51:30 am »
Oh I never waste it, even if it is still green and yeasty tasting, lol.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:52:48 am »
Believe me sir I do.
It's just not as exciting when it's wort. With all that was said previously I will continue to use the hydrometer for FG.
This new tool will help me with pre and post boil samples wich will take some time off my brew day.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 08:54:14 am »
Use the refractometer until you have a stable reading and then use your hydrometer. The refractometer will tell you when fermentation is done one drop at a time, the hydrometer will tell you where it finished.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 09:03:54 am »
Use the refractometer until you have a stable reading and then use your hydrometer. The refractometer will tell you when fermentation is done one drop at a time, the hydrometer will tell you where it finished.
Yes sir, sorry if I wasn't clear.
Kind of exciting to have the ability to check one drop at a time.
It's usually a pain in the ass to draw a hygrometer sample.
That will be my next fix, either adding a spicket to my brew bucket or purchasing a better fermenter that already has one.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:24 am »
Refractometer definitely needs correction for FG. Forum member Sean Terrill's calculator is very good for this: http://www.seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

Refractometer results are not as precise as I would like but for small batches it's pretty much the only way you can take readings. I brew a lot of one and two gallon batches. Two hydrometer readings out of a gallon is about a tenth of the batch. Taking a few drops at a time lets me take as many gravity readings as I need.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 09:46:44 am »
Refractometer definitely needs correction for FG. Forum member Sean Terrill's calculator is very good for this: http://www.seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

Refractometer results are not as precise as I would like but for small batches it's pretty much the only way you can take readings. I brew a lot of one and two gallon batches. Two hydrometer readings out of a gallon is about a tenth of the batch. Taking a few drops at a time lets me take as many gravity readings as I need.
My thoughts exactly.
Thank you for the link.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 09:55:41 am »
Believe me sir I do.
It's just not as exciting when it's wort. With all that was said previously I will continue to use the hydrometer for FG.
This new tool will help me with pre and post boil samples wich will take some time off my brew day.

But we're talking about final gravity, which means it's beer, not wort.  I actually take a 12 oz. gravity sample for FG.  After I measure it, I put it in a 20 oz. PET bottle with a carbonater cap.  I hit it with 30 psi of CO2, and put it in the freezer for 45 min.  That way I get a cold, carbed sample.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 10:13:20 am »
Believe me sir I do.

But we're talking about final gravity, which means it's beer, not wort.  I actually take a 12 oz. gravity sample for FG.  After I measure it, I put it in a 20 oz. PET bottle with a carbonater cap.  I hit it with 30 psi of CO2, and put it in the freezer for 45 min.  That way I get a cold, carbed sample.
Yes sir, that would be awesome.
I'm not at that level yet.
I have yet to purchase anything to do with kegging.
But that is why I brew 3 gallon batches. One day I will have a 3 gallon keg and c02.
I have aspirations to be like the rest of you homebrewing demi gods.

Offline one_seat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 01:16:23 pm »
Believe me sir I do.

Yes sir, that would be awesome.
I'm not at that level yet.
I have yet to purchase anything to do with kegging.
But that is why I brew 3 gallon batches. One day I will have a 3 gallon keg and c02.
I have aspirations to be like the rest of you homebrewing demi gods.

Unfortunately used 3 gallon kegs cost more than 5 gallon keg so if you have any desire to switch to 5 gallon batches I would recommend just getting 5 gallon kegs. I wish I did.