Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need Help Building Mini-Brewery  (Read 2846 times)

Offline brewtopia

• Cellarman
Need Help Building Mini-Brewery
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:29:23 am »
So after reading all the great articles in 'pimp my system', I'm wanting to start designing a mini brewery able to do 1 to 2 kegs at a time. I would like a false bottom mash tun, that I can vorloft (spelling is wrong) in. Then I want either to be able to heat the mash tun, so it's a kettle as well, or a separate pot that I can heat up with a digital thermometer. The last is I want 2 conical fermentors, so I can have 2 beers fermenting at once. If it's possible to get on a small scale, I would like some sort of a glycol system, or maybe I can just use water somehow. This means that I need some sort of a conical fermentor that has a jacket around the pot to pass cold water, or glycol around to cool it, with an automatic digital gauge. I also need pumps to move the liquid from one pot to another.

Any other things I need, or may want?

I want this mini system to be as close to what a large brewery does as possible, so I can practice for larger applications later on.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Need Help Building Mini-Brewery
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:01:54 am »
BYO magazine featured a DIY glycol system. A window AC unit's coil was used to chill the glycol in a cooler. The glycol was pumped in tubing around the steel fermenters, everything well jacketed/insulated of course. Hooked up to a thermostat for precise temp control.

Edit:

BYO May-June 2009, Vol 15, no.3 "Build Your Own Glycol Fermenter" By Marty Cornelius
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:08:49 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis