Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxyclean good for cleaning beer lines?  (Read 36172 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Oxyclean good for cleaning beer lines?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:03 am »
+1! :D

What a timely thread! I was just looking at my hoses and shaking my head. What? Lines are three years old and only some hot water flushed through a couple times. I've got oxyclean and was wondering if it was appropriate. With kegs it works like a charm!

I could run a quart or so of solution through the lines from a free keg and clean those puppies up.

Thanks!

Put in new lines

+1

Lines should be replaced once a year.

I think as homebrewers we tend to go overboard on things. How often do you think a bar replaces their hoses? Just keep em clean, unless you got an infection running through your setup.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bissdp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 01:28:13 pm »
Thanks for all the advice!

I I flushed them out with an oxyclean solution and then some plain water.

Offline hopper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 05:50:58 pm »
+1! :D

What a timely thread! I was just looking at my hoses and shaking my head. What? Lines are three years old and only some hot water flushed through a couple times. I've got oxyclean and was wondering if it was appropriate. With kegs it works like a charm!

I could run a quart or so of solution through the lines from a free keg and clean those puppies up.

Thanks!

Put in new lines

+1

Lines should be replaced once a year.

I think as homebrewers we tend to go overboard on things. How often do you think a bar replaces their hoses? Just keep em clean, unless you got an infection running through your setup.

Brewers Association Draft Beer Quality Manual (http://www.draughtquality.org/) says vinyl direct draw lines should
be replaced every year.

Offline jpbikerfreak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:49 pm »
It is ok to use a cleaning solution made from oxyclean to clean out beer draught lines and then run some sanitizer through the lines? Or should I go for the commerical 'beer line cleaner'.

I used nothing but hot water for years, then finally figured I was pushing my luck, so I bought a jug of no rinse sanitizer at Sam's club for $4.77. Makes 128 gallons and doesn't leave any taste behind.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 08:44:11 pm »
should

:D

Reality is a different story.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 06:09:57 am »
should

:D

Reality is a different story.

No kidding! If you followed those recommended cleaning intervals, you'd spend all your time doing that and never have time to actually make something to serve through your pristine lines!   :D
Just brew it...

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:46 am »
The only thing I would add that I hope was obvious is I try to use really hot water, then add oxyclean to it, get it fully disolved then soak/flush with it. Then rinse with hot water.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 12:57:51 am »
Since I was broaching a new keg tonight a gunky old line got the treatment. After cleaning a corny I dumped about a gallon of hot water on top of a Tbs of Oxyclean. Pressured up the keg and ran the whole lot through the QD, line and tap then flushed with a gallon of hot water.

Cleaned up real good! Spotless. Thanks!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 06:46:11 am »

Are your tape lines more than a year old?
If so, try this.
Clean them as normal, rinse and pour a beer from them.

Now, take out one of the lines, rinse it with hot water and take a sniff.................. smells like beer huh?
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead