Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best way to rack to cask and minimize oxygen pickup  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Best way to rack to cask and minimize oxygen pickup
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:49:12 am »
OK folks, I'm about to try and cask a beer for the first time. I'm trying to minimize O2 pickup as much as possible, but I don't have the usual closed transfer options as with a keg.

Ideally, the beer will still be a few points from finished when I get home, and I'll transfer then. Since it'll all still be actively fermenting I'm hoping that will minimize the issue. Other suggestions have been to let the beer ferment out completely, sit for a few more days, then rack/prime/fine.

So, am I better off trying to transfer with a few gravity points left? Or will dosing the beer with primings be enough to reactivate the O2 scrubbing potential of the yeast still in suspension? Would it be worth just sticking a CO2 line and just trickle some gas into the cask to try and blanket everything?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Best way to rack to cask and minimize oxygen pickup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:03 am »
Zymurgy had an article, in the last year IIRC, about a closed system for cask ales.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 05:57:23 pm »
Just purge them as best you can with co2. Since they will be naturally carbbed the yeast will scavenge most of the o2 anyway. However, I have gone as far to leave a co2 in the firkin and running and above the beer level for the entire transfer.

Here's a quick hint: If you want to have a carbbed firkin use the plastic bungs. If you use the wooden one's keep the firkin in a position so that the bungs stay wet with beer or they will often dry out and leak the co2 pressure.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:46:47 pm »
Outer space.  ;D

OK IHTMHBs.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 04:53:16 am »
Just purge them as best you can with co2. Since they will be naturally carbbed the yeast will scavenge most of the o2 anyway. However, I have gone as far to leave a co2 in the firkin and running and above the beer level for the entire transfer.

Here's a quick hint: If you want to have a carbbed firkin use the plastic bungs. If you use the wooden one's keep the firkin in a position so that the bungs stay wet with beer or they will often dry out and leak the co2 pressure.

I ended up just doing a careful transfer, banking on the (still happy) yeast taking care of that issue for me.

Do you have a good method for removing those plastic bungs, other than the $30 tool? I've tried several things and none of them seem to work well.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.