Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saisonstein Monster OYL-500/BJCP ?  (Read 8964 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Saisonstein Monster OYL-500/BJCP ?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »
see that is the thing... I used a 2stage charcoal filter from a hose in and 5 gallons came out in under 1.5min maybe 2...  So I obviously don't have what it takes here.  I guess I could throttle it with a ball valve, but I think I would rather buy RO/Distilled for the time being.  Atleast for tomorrows brewday that is what I am going to do.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 04:24:37 pm »
You may be correct.  I know chloramines are harder to deal with than simple chlorine.  I've never had an issue, though.  Chicago must not use chloramines.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:43 pm »
Chloramines can or can not be helped with a Campden tablet?  I did not think they did...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Stevie

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »
Chloramines can or can not be helped with a Campden tablet?  I did not think they did...
Campden is a foolproof method of removal. 1 tab for 20 gallons.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 04:46:09 pm »
well then that will be my next shot.  cheaper than buying RO/Distilled.  But for the random times I make something pale it is nice to use RO.  or I need to convince my wife to move someplace where the water is better.... haha

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 09:39:57 am »
Not a big fan of this yeast.  Has anyone else used it yet?  Something is off about it in both brews I have with this yeast.  I need to age it a bit, and let it chill for another month or so.  This brew is spiced bubblegum with a big malty aroma.  I think the recipe is off, but fwiw I am not a fan thus far.  I will try again on a single malt and see if it really is the yeast I don't like or not.

AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 09:43:36 am »
Not a big fan of this yeast.  Has anyone else used it yet?  Something is off about it in both brews I have with this yeast.  I need to age it a bit, and let it chill for another month or so.  This brew is spiced bubblegum with a big malty aroma.  I think the recipe is off, but fwiw I am not a fan thus far.  I will try again on a single malt and see if it really is the yeast I don't like or not.

How warm did you ferment, out of curiosity? Saison strains are pretty temp sensitive IMO - a little cool and they're boring, a little too warm and the fruity, bubblegum, fuselly thing comes out in many strains.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:53 am »
68F and temp range is 65-78F

AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:10 am »
68F and temp range is 65-78F

I haven't used that strain yet, but the temp profile is pretty close to what I use for most saison strains. The first time I try one, I like to hold around 67F for a couple days then ramp up slowly to mid/upper 70s. Then adjust up or down the next time depending on what I thought of the beer.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 12:16:00 pm »
Here is Drew's notes:
nose initially of rusty red apples with peaches thicker body with a strong cinnamon mid body. Final body is dry, but not aggressively so - softer than many of the other strains. Probably would benefit from a cooler ferment to avoid the red apple ester. Will retest
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 01:06:48 pm »
I went and opened another.  Cause I am fortunate enough to work from home :) but I am still unhappy with it.  I am going to take to a bottle share this Thursday and see what everyone thinks.

AHA Member