Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safbrew Abbaye Ale  (Read 32211 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2015, 07:13:44 am »
I'm drinking mine as I type. It's really nice now, dry, peppery, with a light body. But, it took four months to get this way. I like it very much, now. So, I think as long as you are not in a hurry for the beer, the Abbaye yeast is okay. But at this point, I don't know what the advantage over the liquid Belgians might be. Sure, dry yeast is great for its ease of use, but that's a long time to wait for a medium sized beer to age out. So, not sure that I recommend it or not.

I've got the Fermentis Abbaye yeast on order, and will let you all know how that works out. I hope it is better than the Safebrew because I love dry yeast and would like to have a Belgian dry yeast alternative--I know the Belle Saison is good, but I like me an abbey ale or a patersbier as well as a saison.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted on the Lallemand Abbey strain when you get around to it. I have nothing against liquid yeast but am just looking for decent dry yeast alternatives similarly to what you stated. I am usually grain to glass in about a month so it sounds like the Fermentis strain is not worth the hassle.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2015, 05:59:31 pm »
I'm drinking mine as I type. It's really nice now, dry, peppery, with a light body. But, it took four months to get this way. I like it very much, now. So, I think as long as you are not in a hurry for the beer, the Abbaye yeast is okay. But at this point, I don't know what the advantage over the liquid Belgians might be. Sure, dry yeast is great for its ease of use, but that's a long time to wait for a medium sized beer to age out. So, not sure that I recommend it or not.

I've got the Fermentis Abbaye yeast on order, and will let you all know how that works out. I hope it is better than the Safebrew because I love dry yeast and would like to have a Belgian dry yeast alternative--I know the Belle Saison is good, but I like me an abbey ale or a patersbier as well as a saison.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted on the Lallemand Abbey strain when you get around to it. I have nothing against liquid yeast but am just looking for decent dry yeast alternatives similarly to what you stated. I am usually grain to glass in about a month so it sounds like the Fermentis strain is not worth the hassle.

Sure thing!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »
I finally got around to giving this a try in a Belgian Pale after getting a packet for free at the NHC.

It kicked out a ton of sulphur during fermentation, more than any yeast I've ever used, but it's fairly moderate in the finished beer (and the beer is still pretty young).

The finish is mostly pepper, and maybe it's the power of suggestion, but I'm picking up on the slight almond flavor someone else noted. 

I've only had a few ounces so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.  Right now, I think I will enjoy the keg but probably not brew with it again.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC