Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: W34/70 vs S-189  (Read 26278 times)

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: W34/70 vs S-189
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2016, 11:34:16 am »
And I can't help but wonder if there are perceptible differences at a colder fermentation temperature.  The LODO process holds at 48F for the full fermentation and spunding.

I noted the lemon in 34/70 when fermenting at the lower end of the spectrum; maybe I was imagining, but it was reinforced when I had a friend try the beer (unknowing of anything about it) and unprompted, he said that it was a good beer, but the lemon he detected made him ask if I had dosed it with lemon.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

The Beerery

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2016, 11:38:58 am »
And I can't help but wonder if there are perceptible differences at a colder fermentation temperature.  The LODO process holds at 48F for the full fermentation and spunding.

I noted the lemon in 34/70 when fermenting at the lower end of the spectrum; maybe I was imagining, but it was reinforced when I had a friend try the beer (unknowing of anything about it) and unprompted, he said that it was a good beer, but the lemon he detected made him ask if I had dosed it with lemon.

48, try 45 :)

Yea 34/70 AND s189 hate life down there. Just look at the proper pitch rates( dry yeast) they want you to have for those temps! I was pitching 50 grams into a 5.5gal batch.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2016, 11:42:33 am »

Just look at the proper pitch rates( dry yeast) they want you to have for those temps! I was pitching 50 grams into a 5.5gal batch.

Jesus!  Really?  Rehydrated too?  And you still noticed off-flavors when using them?

The Beerery

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2016, 11:53:14 am »

Just look at the proper pitch rates( dry yeast) they want you to have for those temps! I was pitching 50 grams into a 5.5gal batch.

Jesus!  Really?  Rehydrated too?  And you still noticed off-flavors when using them?

Off flavors, lack of flavors, etc. I tried playing with pitch rates as well.. My 2206 is just way easier ;D

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2016, 01:36:09 pm »

Yea 34/70 AND s189 hate life down there. Just look at the proper pitch rates( dry yeast) they want you to have for those temps! I was pitching 50 grams into a 5.5gal batch.

I could have sworn I read 48 F somewhere in your stuff.  Maybe it was for those unable to go to 45F....Well, we will see what I get from a currently fermenting 10 gallon batch of S-189 at 45 (it's so cold in my garage that the carboy heater - aquarium type - can't get it above that temperature).  this is the tough time of the year for me with lagers...I hate warming a cold environment when the rest of the year I strive for the opposite.  I should start a thread on the effects of heating fermenters of lager beer to get into the 46F range in a colder garage (I find that they alter the flavor to a more skunky tone, however slight).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
How did the brulosophy results on S-189 vs. W-34/70 not get posted in this discussion?
http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

Spoiler: out of 22 tasters in a blind triangle, a significant number were unable to tell the difference between 1.053 OG Vienna Lagers fermented with S-189 vs. W-34/70. Maybe the difference would have been significant in a high gravity lager. Who knows?
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:32 pm »

Totally and completely untrue. Totally and completely false. I have a hard time believing you have used these yeasts. I'm not going to go out so far as to say I like the 34/70 as well as the liquid equivalent but I know for a fact you can make great beer out of that strain and S-189.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:49 pm »
I want to make a LODO lager with these yeast just to see if I can taste this mythical lemon flavor from these yeasts.

Big Monk

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
I want to make a LODO lager with these yeast just to see if I can taste this mythical lemon flavor from these yeasts.

That's the spirit!

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2016, 12:25:56 pm »

That's the spirit!

Or I could do it the easy way and just zest some lemon. Lemme weigh my options here, LODO or taking 5 seconds to zest a lemon.

yeah, think I'll stick with the simpler, easy and most importantly proven method of getting lemon flavor.

Big Monk

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2016, 12:33:46 pm »

That's the spirit!

Or I could do it the easy way and just zest some lemon. Lemme weigh my options here, LODO or taking 5 seconds to zest a lemon.

yeah, think I'll stick with the simpler, easy and most importantly proven method of getting lemon flavor.

Whatever works for you man. You sound like a man with a plan.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2016, 12:59:34 pm »
How did the brulosophy results on S-189 vs. W-34/70 not get posted in this discussion?
http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

Spoiler: out of 22 tasters in a blind triangle, a significant number were unable to tell the difference between 1.053 OG Vienna Lagers fermented with S-189 vs. W-34/70. Maybe the difference would have been significant in a high gravity lager. Who knows?

I don't think that's too surprising.  There is far less variation among lager yeasts than ale yeasts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2017, 08:45:23 pm »
My apologies for bringing this ancient thread back to the top, but I said I'd report when my try with S-189 was ready to drink.

A Maibock:  SG = 1.067,  FG = 1.014

42%  Weyermann Pils
31%  GW 2 row
19%  Vienna
 6%  Cara Munich
 1.5% Special Roast
30  IBUs

Wonderful malt aroma and flavor.  Initial malty sweetness is nicely balanced by the smooth hop bitterness and leads to a somewhat dry finish.  The Sterling hop flavor and aroma is there but you really have to look for it.  lovely orange/amber clarity and persistent white head.  Nice mouthfeel.  Seems to check all the boxes for a Maibock except maybe a little more caramel than ideal.

I will brew malt forward lagers again with S-189.  Maybe the next Maibock will swap out the Cara Munich for 10% Munich 20L.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2017, 05:30:41 am »
I should start a thread on the effects of heating fermenters of lager beer to get into the 46F range in a colder garage (I find that they alter the flavor to a more skunky tone, however slight).

:) I had to fire up the wood stove in the shop the other day and move my fermenter a little closer.
ghetto ambient brewing.  hope I don't get the skunk!

s189 schwartzbier btw

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:26 am »
I should start a thread on the effects of heating fermenters of lager beer to get into the 46F range in a colder garage (I find that they alter the flavor to a more skunky tone, however slight).

:) I had to fire up the wood stove in the shop the other day and move my fermenter a little closer.
ghetto ambient brewing.  hope I don't get the skunk!

s189 schwartzbier btw

Skunk is from light, not heat.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell