Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Estimated FG Seems Odd  (Read 1257 times)

Offline lbrennan41

• 1st Kit
Estimated FG Seems Odd
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:59:05 am »
I have only brewed with Marris Otter once before and I do not remember having any issues (either in Beer Smith OR with the beer) getting the beer down to 1.012 FG.  In fact almost all of my beers finish between 1.013 & 1.010.

This time, when formulating my recipe Beer Smith is telling me my estimated SG is 1.066 and estimated FG is 1.019. 

Mash at 152* for 60 minutes - Picnic Cooler Batch Sparge
10 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb 2-Row
1 lb Munich Malt
8 oz Aromatic Malt
4 oz Crystal 80
Wyeast 1768 (ESB)

My question - is there anything in this malt bill that seems like this beer should finish that high?  I think, like most of my other beers, it should finish around 1.012.  But Beer Smith is making me second guess myself.  I KNOW that the program is just estimating here but I have never had it estimate a finishing gravity that high on a beer I didn't want it to be.  Does Marris Otter convert less fermentable that 2-row?  I am thinking that I should proceed with assumption that the SG (1.066) is correct but the FG (1.019) is incorrect.  Seem Reasonable?

Thank All! - I don't post much but I lurk quite a bit.  I appreciate the help in advance.

Lucas

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Estimated FG Seems Odd
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:09:00 pm »
Over four batches, I saw 74-83% attenuation (AA) using single-infusion mashes ranging from 152F (83%AA) to 156F (74%AA) with Wyeast 1768.  If I were to use this strain again then I would use this as my rough guide.  Of course, everyone's system and process is different so you should take this with a few grains of salt.

You malt bill looks highly fermentable. I would not count on it to leave much residual sugars/sweetness on it's own (assuming a balanced IBU level).  You may be looking at around a 1.015 FG assuming a medium-high mash temperature with ~78%AA.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:14:39 pm »
Wyeast lists the minimum attenuation of 68% and maximum attenuation of 72%, so estimating 71.21% attenuation doesn't seem far fetched.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »
FWIW, Wyeast also lists 3724 as having an 80% max, but myself (and I think some other on here) regularly get it to go well into the 90's.

Beersmith is even less accurate that the Wyeast specs.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:45 pm »
Yeah, looks like a pretty fermentable grist overall. Any problems with temp control this time? Flocculant English strains are prone to stalling if temp goes down during fermentation and benefit from raising temp after a few days to attenuate properly. Did you pitch the same amount of yeast as usual, I assume? Did you use a refractometer to measure FG? If so, there's a correction you need to use to get an accurate reading. Correct the reading for temp? Also, a 1.066 beer, while not huge, will generally finish higher than a 1.050 beer as well.

Finally, software estimates of attenuation and FG are utterly worthless. Your FG (and attenuation) depends on lots of factors - grist, mash temp, pH control, yeast health and quantity, etc. Though most of your beers finish ~ 1.012, lots of yeast/grist/mash temp combos will make beers that don't.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:55:29 pm »
I use Brewer's friend calculator and never used Beersmith but here's a WAG: does the program think you are throwing in a single pack when you usually use a starter? I assume that would change its calculation of FG.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline lbrennan41

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:06:52 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I should have clarified, I have not brewed this yet.  I plan on brewing the day after Thanksgiving & was thrown off by the numbers Beer Smith gave me.  I get pretty good temp control this time of year and will be able to keep the beer around 64*-66* no problem.  Raising the temp after a few days sounds like it may be a good idea.  This is going to be an English style IPA coming in at an expected 60 IBU so maybe a little residual sweetness won't hurt it too much anyway.

I do use starters but from my recollection, starter vs. no starter doesn't affect Beer Smith's calculations that much.  I will need to double check that to make sure tho.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
Finally, software estimates of attenuation and FG are utterly worthless. Your FG (and attenuation) depends on lots of factors - grist, mash temp, pH control, yeast health and quantity, etc. Though most of your beers finish ~ 1.012, lots of yeast/grist/mash temp combos will make beers that don't.

THIS^^^^  Grist and process make a lot of difference in attenuation and software i doing nothing more than making a guess.  Yeast attenuation ratings are simply a way of comparing one yeast to another and do not necessarily reflect the attenuation you can expect.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell