Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Aeration  (Read 7321 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Wort Aeration
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:33 pm »
When pitching yeast, I have always shaken my carboy to get some oxygen into the wort. I have read about people putting pure oxygen into the wort with aeration stones and O2 canisters since shaking the wort isn't all that great at dissolving anything into the wort.

I read in Denny's book that he uses a gas whip and a power drill to aearate the wort.

Anyone have good experience with this? How long should I whip it to incorporate a decent amount of O2?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Wort Aeration
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:36:08 pm »
FWIW, I've never had bad results with just rocking the carboy back and forth vigorously for two minutes. It it a pain though, and doesn't work with all fermentors.

For my planned open fermentation experiments I'm thinking of using a mix-stir like you mention. I'll probably just do a minute or two at the start of fermentation, then another minute after the first barm has been skimmed.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:39:16 pm »
I read in Denny's book that he uses a gas whip and a power drill to aearate the wort.

Anyone have good experience with this? How long should I whip it to incorporate a decent amount of O2?

I use a mix stir - I mix until the foam is at the top of the bucket. Same principle for carboys.
Jon H.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:44:14 pm »
OK yea that looks like it would work the same way as what I have would.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Should be much easier than rocking a carboy! And a bit safer too!

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
FWIW, I've never had bad results with just rocking the carboy back and forth vigorously for two minutes. It it a pain though, and doesn't work with all fermentors.

For my planned open fermentation experiments I'm thinking of using a mix-stir like you mention. I'll probably just do a minute or two at the start of fermentation, then another minute after the first barm has been skimmed.

what is a barm?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:10:57 pm »
That system worked excellently for me.  now that I pump from kettle to fermenter I find that does all the aeration I need and do nothing else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:34:06 pm »
We ran tests on simply shaking and splashing wort. We found with staking the everlivin out of the keg, we saw 2-3ppm DO. Which may be fine when using dry yeast, or making moderate gravity ales, but certainly isn't enough for lagers, and high gravity ales.

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 01:55:07 pm »
I "no chill" into a HDPE jerrycan leaving about 1/4 of the volume as headspace. Once chilled I add yeast and fill the headspace with O2 and then shake the hell out of it. When active fermentation starts I repeat this process after I have vented the CO2 by a brief shake.
Its a similar idea to the shaken not stirred starter. Create a lot of foam, large surface area in contact with pure O2 to absorb high levels of oxygen. Have used this approach on a range of beers with good healthy fermentations.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:59:08 pm »
That system worked excellently for me.  now that I pump from kettle to fermenter I find that does all the aeration I need and do nothing else.

Was hoping to  hear directly from you! :P How long did you aerate for? Just till foam gets to the top of bucket/ fermentor? Did you do it before or after you pitched your yeast?

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »
We ran tests on simply shaking and splashing wort. We found with staking the everlivin out of the keg, we saw 2-3ppm DO. Which may be fine when using dry yeast, or making moderate gravity ales, but certainly isn't enough for lagers, and high gravity ales.

I think I heard about that from Beersmith brewing podcast with John palmer as the guest.

He said gets to around 2-3 as well, but ideally you want at least 8ppm for all beers right?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:04:29 pm »
This paper says shaking is an effective aeration method.  Obviously there is a problem in the experiment but not sure it would matter.
http://www.brewangels.com/Beerformation/AerationMethods.pdf
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 02:07:13 pm »
I say whip it.
Whip it good.
For a minute or until you get it foamy.
I used to use a wine degasser and a drill to whip it. Whip it good.
Now, I use an aeration stone.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 02:08:02 pm »
+1   I can chill to fermentation temps in the kettle so I add the yeast to the kettle and pump into the top of a 6.5 gal. BMB fermenter.  By the time it's up to the 5.5 gal. mark, there is foam coming out the top.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 02:15:08 pm »
I use a mix stir with a stainless shaft in my plastic fermenter. If I were using the ss mix stir in a carboy I would put the rod in the hole of a stopper and keep the little plastic tube at the end on to prevent a bad accident.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »

what is a barm?

Where I live, a barm is a round bread roll. 
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017