Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Aeration  (Read 7268 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Wort Aeration
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2016, 10:55:16 am »
From my experience I am a slurry user almost always.

That was my point when I said what macro breweries do isn't always relevant to homebrewing.  I make a fresh SNS starter every time so the yeast have built healthy membranes and have been well-oxygenated.

Making fresh starters every time is cost prohibitive to pros.  Pro brewers usually repitch slurry so the wort into which the culture is being repitched needs oxygenation to allow the yeast in the slurry to rebuild sterols.  I don't repitch unless I'm going directly from one newly completed fermentation vessel into the next batch of wort in another FV.

If a home-brewer is repitching then an O2 wand and DO meter would be necessary.  If the homebrewer is making a starter or pitching dry yeast then oxygenation isn't critical and can even be detrimental leading to formation of fusel alcohols and other undesired compounds.   

Brian
mobrewer

The Beerery

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 11:17:50 am »
From my experience I am a slurry user almost always.

That was my point when I said what macro breweries do isn't always relevant to homebrewing.  I make a fresh SNS starter every time so the yeast have built healthy membranes and have been well-oxygenated.

Making fresh starters every time is cost prohibitive to pros.  Pro brewers usually repitch slurry so the wort into which the culture is being repitched needs oxygenation to allow the yeast in the slurry to rebuild sterols.  I don't repitch unless I'm going directly from one newly completed fermentation vessel into the next batch of wort in another FV.

If a home-brewer is repitching then an O2 wand and DO meter would be necessary.  If the homebrewer is making a starter or pitching dry yeast then oxygenation isn't critical and can even be detrimental leading to formation of fusel alcohols and other undesired compounds.

I don't know, I can't fully say since I don't have first hand experience with it. But I am pretty sure they are building pure cultures for each brew, which is what Kunze speaks of.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 11:24:04 am »
I don't know, I can't fully say since I don't have first hand experience with it. But I am pretty sure they are building pure cultures for each brew, which is what Kunze speaks of.

I'm confused...again!  When you say "they" are building pure cultures for each brew, who are you speaking of?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 11:27:05 am »

I'm confused...again!  When you say "they" are building pure cultures for each brew, who are you speaking of?

Those who follow the Kunze methods of yeast and aeration, and brewing methods of Kunze and TUM.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
Those who follow the Kunze methods of yeast and aeration, and brewing methods of Kunze and TUM.

So you have no direct experience with what I and a lot of other homebrewers do?  Not intending to hassle you, just understand.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 11:47:44 am »

So you have no direct experience with what I and a lot of other homebrewers do?  Not intending to hassle you, just understand.

Denny, I have brewed over 1000 batches, starting in 2000 (only 250 batches have been low oxygen). I have tried just about every homebrewer method known to man. As I have said before, they did not net the results I was looking for and turned to professional brewing texts. After listening to the professional literature I saw the results I was looking for. So I follow and preach the methods that I tried and use, much like everyone else.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 11:55:01 am »
Denny, I have brewed over 1000 batches, starting in 2000 (only 250 batches have been low oxygen). I have tried just about every homebrewer method known to man. As I have said before, they did not net the results I was looking for and turned to professional brewing texts. After listening to the professional literature I saw the results I was looking for. So I follow and preach the methods that I tried and use, much like everyone else.

Thanks, that's a lot of what I was wondering.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 02:09:20 pm »

Over one batch a week every week for 16 years if my calculations are correct....

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 02:44:23 pm »
I now only have 2 fermenters, but they are drained and filled weekly. Ask anyone who knows me I brew a minimum of once a week, EVERY week.

Big Monk

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 04:35:06 pm »
I now only have 2 fermenters, but they are drained and filled weekly. Ask anyone who knows me I brew a minimum of once a week, EVERY week.

That's the truth.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
So jealous.  I wish I could brew that often.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2016, 06:12:33 pm »
That's awesome!!  Best part is everyone here sharing their extensive knowledge. I'd love to try all the Low brewing, but my MT is full of copper. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2016, 09:35:55 pm »
Sigh...back in the day, I could also say that because I had lots of broke-thirsty-college-student friends to help drink the beer.  Today, if I brewed all the beer that I would like to, I would be too drunk to brew and my liver would be going south fast!  :(
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 12:09:50 pm »
Sigh...back in the day, I could also say that because I had lots of broke-thirsty-college-student friends to help drink the beer.  Today, if I brewed all the beer that I would like to, I would be too drunk to brew and my liver would be going south fast!  :(

No doubt!  Staying healthy only enables one to enjoy more beer down the road!

Offline tstrenuous10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2016, 10:18:05 am »
I have gone from shaking the beer in a carboy/better bottle to using a big paint mixer for drywall mud to an oxygen stone/bottle kit.  The stone is obviously the easiest. It's highly recommended because a lot of research say it can get 8-10 ppm dissolved oxygen within 1-2 minutes. It was inexpensive for me to buy used so I thought I'd give it a try.  While I've only used it for two batches I can say I like it simply because it's easier.  I've had stuck fermentations on other beers and this seems to eliminate that. I also use 1.5 L starters, save .5 L for cost savings, and currently pitch at fermentation temperatures.  I'd either ask for an oxygenation kit for Christmas, gift it to myself, or keep an eye out for a used one because it's less work and pays for itself, in my opinion, after one batch of not needing to shake XX gallons of wort (depending on how big of a batch you brew). It's just my opinion but I'm happy with my choice to go with red oxygen tanks.