Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saving an unused but activated White Labs yeast  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Xlimey

• 1st Kit
Saving an unused but activated White Labs yeast
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:31:50 am »
I have started an all grain D IPA and expected to use two sachets of White Labs Monastery yeast. But because I added the step of aerating the beer before I added any yeast I found that I didn't need to use this second sachet even though I had kept it on my stir table for 48 hours. Right now it sits in my fridge in a small mason jar with some beer over the yeast.  My question is "What can I expect it's useful shelf life to be?"

Eharristt@aol.com

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Saving an unused but activated White Labs yeast
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:57:14 am »
You could use the yeast up to two weeks from now without a starter if the cell count is sufficient for your next brew.  After two weeks build up the cell count with a starter because of viability loss.  I like the Brew United pitch rate/starter calculator for viability estimates.   Conservative useful life perhaps 6 months, sometimes even longer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:51:18 am »
Within a few weeks it will be fine as it is. After that you'll want to refresh the yeast in a new starter but it will be good for at least months.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 02:32:21 pm »
You said you are brewing a Double IPA.  But you also said you used WLP500 Monastery yeast.  Did you pick that yeast because of its high alcohol tolerance, or did you pick it for the flavor profile put out by that yeast?  If you only went by looking at the alcohol tolerance, you may be in for a surprise when you taste the finished beer.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Xlimey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 03:01:30 pm »
Santioch, I am actually brewing an all grain recipe provided by our local brew show which they call St. Celibate Quadruple Abbey and it was their choice of yeast. Being its OG was 1090 I likened it to my usual Double IPAs. I have too often struggled to attenuate down to the suggested FG hence my opening 2 yeast packs, so this brew was a major surprise as it is down to 1010 on just one pack.  I like to think it was because I airiated the beer before adding the yeast such that I then had an inch of foam on the surface. WhiteLabs say to add during max activity but how come without first adding some yeast?  So I kick started with a pack of Sofale 05.