Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pilsner
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 09:59:03 am »
I simply let both ales and lagers finish getting down to temp overnight and pitch in the morning. As long as sanitation is good, which obviously it needs to be anyway, it works like a charm. It also works out better timing wise to have my starter ready to pitch the next morning.

I should probably start doing this. I ferment in a temp controlled chest freezer so it's pitching temp that is mostly my concern.

Do you oxygenate the wort after letting it sit?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 10:05:33 am »
Any of those would do well. Tettnang is excellent, as are Crystal and Sterling. Sounds like a nice beer.

Thanks Jon. Sounds like a brew day decision. Lager season has begun for me! I can do them when it's warmer but it's difficult to get to pitching temps with warmer groundwater...

Yep, I'm wanting to get a bock or dunkel (or both) done soon. Assuming you don't have fridge space to leave overnight to cool to lager temps - if you ever get $50 burning a hole in your pocket, a submersible sump pump in a bucket of ice water will get you down to pitching temps in a hurry. Bought one last year and I love it. I cool to ~ 80F with ground water, disconnect the IC and connect to the pump in ice water, to pump ice water through the IC. Got me down to lager temps in the middle of the summer easily several times. Really good purchase for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91250-Thermoplastic-Submersible/dp/B000X05G1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478794668&sr=8-1&keywords=1+4+hp+sump+pump

I need to consider this.

I currently run a smaller immersion chiller in a bucket of ice water that in turn feeds my main, bigger chiller. That has improved my chilling but still not adequate for lagers in the summer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:53 am »
It's a good idea to wait to oxygenate until right before pitching if you chill overnight.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 10:17:01 am »
It's a good idea to wait to oxygenate until right before pitching if you chill overnight.

Any advice on how to easily oxygenate wort sitting in a Speidel without an oxygen tank? I have heard of people sanitizing a drill operated paint mixer... 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 10:21:58 am »

Any advice on how to easily oxygenate wort sitting in a Speidel without an oxygen tank? I have heard of people sanitizing a drill operated paint mixer... 

Yeah, I use a mix stir and it works really well.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:38 am »

I use a mix-stir that's made for beer and wine. For sale nearly everywhere.

http://labelpeelers.com/stainless-steel-mix-stir/?gclid=CjwKEAiA0pDBBRCFtoPyguTh8AUSJADNWeuxuHH9QIwfDL2Xpl6-j7FZ4LucvjkZMmiN2debjmUEpRoCHw7w_wcB

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 10:29:25 am »

I use a mix-stir that's made for beer and wine. For sale nearly everywhere.

http://labelpeelers.com/stainless-steel-mix-stir/?gclid=CjwKEAiA0pDBBRCFtoPyguTh8AUSJADNWeuxuHH9QIwfDL2Xpl6-j7FZ4LucvjkZMmiN2debjmUEpRoCHw7w_wcB

Perfect! Not sure how I have never seen one....

Offline Stevie

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 10:39:53 am »
Jon, did you take the bit of tubing off of the bottom? I figured it was to protect glass vessels, so I ditched it as I'm all plastic.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 10:41:49 am »
Jon, did you take the bit of tubing off of the bottom? I figured it was to protect glass vessels, so I ditched it as I'm all plastic.

Yep, I'm all plastic, too.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
I do oxygenate just before pitching, also with a metal mix stir. I also took the little piece of plastic tubing off the bottom to make cleaning and sanitizing it easier and I ferment in plastic.
I used to have an all plastic mix stir but it broke from the torque when I was using it on a 20 gallon batch of mead about a year ago.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2016, 05:14:52 pm »
I am extremely pleased with this beer even though more cold storage is needed.

It might be a tad too bready from the pale malt but it is balancing a VERY spicy hop character that was unexpected. Maybe that will mellow time. I have a different impression of palisade hops here which seem to meld perfectly with the noble hops and work surprisingly well in this style.