Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Volume After Boil Question  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Tom Jefferson

• 1st Kit
Volume After Boil Question
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:41:36 pm »
New brewer - I've brewed a few batches of extract and I'm still trying to figure some things out.

I have a 15 gallon Bayou with notched volume markings.

Last weekend we finished the boil with exactly 5 gallons of wort in the kettle, however we ended up with 4 gallons in the fermenter and added a gallon of water to get 5 into the fermenter.

The original gravity came in a little low at 1.052 versus the kit suggestion of 1.061 - 1.065

I'm assuming we missed it do to adding the extra gallon of water?

I want to do full boils and avoid having to top off water.

I'm sure the corrections is something simple and will smack me right across the face, so smack me!

Advice please......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Volume After Boil Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:32:36 pm »
Yes, that is where you lost gravity points.

I use Brewer's Friend, and I set the batch size to 5.25 gallons, and the boil size to 8.25 gallons. The reason is that I am going to boil off 1.5 gallons, so my end of boil volume is 6.75 gallons. My boil kettle has a 1.5 gallon loss that accounts for break and hops debris. That leaves me with 5.25 gallons of clear wort going into the fermenter.

The extra .25 gallons going into the fermenter accounts for the yeast cake at the end of fermentation. My goal is to package 5 gallons, or 54 12oz bottles. In some cases with session ales I can rack 6 gallons into the fermenter, which I consider to be bonus bottles, maybe filling a few more than 54 bottles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:57:01 pm »
A given recipe will yield different results when brewed on different systems. In order to get close to the expected results you'll likely need to make some adjustments. First, you need to know what to expect from your system and process. If you set up a good equipment profile in your brewing software and have dialed it in by making adjustments as indicated by results from several previous batches you have a good start.

With a kit you are dealing with set quantities of ingredients which probably won't yield the expected gravity and/or volume in your brewhouse. This leaves you to choose between gravity and volume. Whether by design or not, you chose volume.

The good news is that you l have made beer. Since you've never tasted this beer before you have nothing to compare it to, so it's just a new beer.  There is a learning curve that we all go through. Just take good notes and make corrections as needed. Read How to Brew by John Palmer http://howtobrew.com/book/introduction. It's free and loaded with good information.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:39:02 am »
Good advice listed above. The only thing I would add is that I take everything from the boil kettle to my fermentor. Trub and all. Some say its good to leave it out, but IIRC some of the recent exBEERiments have shows that it makes no difference on flavor and can actually help yeast health. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about leaving any of the trub behind. Don't woory too much about volume until you have a few brew days under your belt. Youll be able to better measure how much you typically lose form an hour of boiling.

RDWHAHB!
(relax don't worry and have a homebrew)
:)

Offline Tom Jefferson

• 1st Kit
Volume After Boil Question
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:22:11 pm »
Good advice listed above.

I agree great advice provided by everyone, I like this site a lot...

Even though I was low in the OG I think the beer is still going to be good and I'm excited to finish it!

The point that Bob illustrates concerning the limits with extract kits (in my case either ideal OG readings or achieving the desired volume) draws me to serious consideration to BIAB for my next batch, whereby I might achieve both desired fermenter volume and acquire a SG within the recipe range.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:48:03 pm by Tom Jefferson »

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:27 pm »
BIAB does not necessarily make hitting your target gravity and volume any easier. In fact it is a bit trickier because you dont know what to expect efficiency wise for your first batch or two. not to say it cant be done. I got lucky on my First BIAB, but extract is easier to hit off the bat. The key to hitting your gravity with extract is understanding PPG and total points. If that is Greek to you read Palmer's how to brew volume 1 as suggested by Bob357. understanding PPG and being able to do the math puts you very much in control of your Gravity and will get you pretty close most of the time.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA