Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to re-use yeast slurry from previous brew  (Read 4210 times)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
How to re-use yeast slurry from previous brew
« on: October 18, 2016, 12:08:37 pm »
Hola Caballeros Y Damas (Good after noon Gentlemen and ladies)  ;)

Ok so  maybe this is a lame and talked to death question but here goes anyways...

Brew Date: 10.18.2016 (saturday)  and I used the SHAKEN NOT STIRRED method on both worts
Brewed 2 batches of 5 gallon  1.050 OG beer using 2 different yeast.  Wyeast 138 London ale III and the other  WLP001

Question:  Reusing  Repitching yeast
I want to try to reuse these same yeast and brew another 2 batches of same OG / 5 gallons

I  used the shaken not stirred method I used 1 pack and 1 liter of water and 104+ oz of DME/ 1.040 OG 

I shook the heck out of it.. then pitched 12/16 hrs later,  all of it... 

My point is that's all measured out.. the yeast as it was in a packet or vial as well as the  dme/ water ratio.

I see videos of people just adding the fermenter slurry into jars and  doing the whole let it settle, etc... and decant and repeat till you have clean yeast.. how do they know how much to use again???

So  I have a 5000 ml flask if that matters with of 1000ml marks up too the 5000Ml

How do you know how much yeast/ amount to re-use   :o

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
Re: How to re-use yeast slurry from previous brew
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:31:36 pm »
Hola Caballeros Y Damas (Good after noon Gentlemen and ladies)  ;)

Ok so  maybe this is a lame and talked to death question but here goes anyways...

Brew Date: 10.18.2016 (saturday)  and I used the SHAKEN NOT STIRRED method on both worts
Brewed 2 batches of 5 gallon  1.050 OG beer using 2 different yeast.  Wyeast 138 London ale III and the other  WLP001

Question:  Reusing  Repitching yeast
I want to try to reuse these same yeast and brew another 2 batches of same OG / 5 gallons

I  used the shaken not stirred method I used 1 pack and 1 liter of water and 104+ oz of DME/ 1.040 OG 

I shook the heck out of it.. then pitched 12/16 hrs later,  all of it... 

My point is that's all measured out.. the yeast as it was in a packet or vial as well as the  dme/ water ratio.

I see videos of people just adding the fermenter slurry into jars and  doing the whole let it settle, etc... and decant and repeat till you have clean yeast.. how do they know how much to use again???

So  I have a 5000 ml flask if that matters with of 1000ml marks up too the 5000Ml

How do you know how much yeast/ amount to re-use   :o

So im on brewers friend and there's a slurry pitch calculator..  one thing I noticed is no date of harvest or washed.... does that matter?

Here's what I got, oh and how would I use this in shaken not stirred method.. Love the simplicity of this method!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:58:07 pm by 2brew559 »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »
If you are using it quickly, the amount the calculators are giving should be good. If you are going longer, make a new starter with 2-4 fluid ounces of slurry.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 05:47:28 pm »
Steve,

How long is long?    and if its like longer than   "fresh" what is (fresh vs old)  what changes in the calculator  do i make??

Brew Date: last weekend october 15, 2016 Saturday/ 2 batches of 5.5gallons of beer
I just used 1 pack of WLP001 dated Sept, 23, 2016  as well as an extra vial of same yeast wlp001 but which was older , way older "dated 2015 october something"  added it in starter, just incase as extra yeast firepower! LOL

I added those to the 1L - 1.040 gravity wort and shook it to death, then pitched it after 14 hrs or so...
was for the stout 1.050 OG  few hrs later it was bubbling away like crazy in the speidels i have...

The  other batch was an amber  1.045 i think   But that got a October 9th, 2016 wyeast pack of 1318  same method shaken not stirred.. that too took off

Steve as always you are da man!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:51:01 pm by 2brew559 »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »
I'd say within a week is fine. over a week i'd add a bit more slurry. Over two weeks I'd make a new starter.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:52:32 pm »
I'd say within a week is fine. over a week i'd add a bit more slurry. Over two weeks I'd make a new starter.

Thanks you answered my  how long is long question.. regarding yeast...LOL

dude  your trying to be superman.. your answering all my stupid rookie questions! :) THANKS as always!

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
I just noticed this topic is in the wrong thread... can somebody with super powers move it to the correct thread: yeast, etc....

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:44:30 pm »
Most beers 400ml of slurry. I've repitched many generations and yeast that's been in the fridge for months. No starter needed just warm and pitch. If yo want to jump start the yeast and pitch at high krausen that works but I don't bother anymore. My fermentations generally start within hours.
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 07:56:21 pm »
Most beers 400ml of slurry. I've repitched many generations and yeast that's been in the fridge for months. No starter needed just warm and pitch. If yo want to jump start the yeast and pitch at high krausen that works but I don't bother anymore. My fermentations generally start within hours.
Brew cat.. I'm cracking up at your name " Brew Cat". Lol Great name!

Ok so ur saying just measure out 400ml of slurry from fridge, warm up and pitch it into my  brew.. dang..!   Easy!

So if I took that 400ml slurry and wanted to make the  "shaken not stirred" starter... I'd just add that 400ml to the 1 liter  of 1.040 wort / DME. And shake it then pitch 12-18 hr later...but as you said  if I wanted too to make the starter.. is 400ml too.much though???

Could just pitch the whole 400ml as you said.

Thanks! 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:29:55 pm »
I wouldn't add 400ml to a starter. White labs and Wyeast are about 35ml. I'd stick 35-100ml.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 09:32:34 pm »
Stevie...

Thanks man..that's good info!  Kinda what I was imagining. I was thinking well what size/ capacity are the packets/ vials.. .. but you guys are the experts..  I'm just a guy who brews beer. Lol :)

Offline Brew Cat

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 04:47:22 am »
What I had done for the high kraussen pitch is decant of the cap of old beer that settles out and add a shot or two of wort that I had saved from a previous batch. Then shake it up and set it on the counter the night before. It will be fermenting nicely when you pitch. It's a good way to jump start a stalled fermentation also. I'm in no hurry so like I said I just pitch the jar. Brewers friend has a calculator for pitch rate.
"The waiting is the hardest part" Tom Petty

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
BeerCat, Steve

The info you guys provided is gonna help alot as well as helping me understand the amounts used/ slurry.....

Thanks gentlemen as always!

Best forum ever!

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 08:40:32 am »
In addition, Is the slurry just the white layer of yeast? Or is it the yeast, trub, hop sediment, and all? How do you calculate approx. how much actual yeast is in there?

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 08:14:21 pm »
In addition, Is the slurry just the white layer of yeast? Or is it the yeast, trub, hop sediment, and all? How do you calculate approx. how much actual yeast is in there?
I think they use the amount In the packages as a reference..so if it says 100 mil = 200 billion cells. Or someone has a microscope..

But according to some blogs dirty slurry is all that you mention..if you let it settle it goes half creamy half liquid and debris.. so I figure you estimate half taht to be yeast

Hopefully I understand what I just wrote as well..lol