Author Topic: Zesting method?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Zesting method?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
I'm in the vegetable peeler camp. You just need to use a lighter pressure so you don't dig into the pith. Fast and easy.

The only exception will be citrus fruit with incredibly thin skin, like a clementine. That needs a microplane because it's nearly impossible to avoid pith otherwise.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
I'm in the microplane camp as well. It is also my preferred tool for fresh ginger.
+1 to that. Way easier than mincing.
Me too, I actually use fresh ginger way more often because it's so easy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
Rotato!

https://www.facebook.com/tim.thomssen/videos/vb.100002849011796/871526276285665/?type=3&theater

Hmmm...  I have an apple peeler...
I'd use it, then chiffonade the peel. Just made a Golden Strong with the zest of 5 oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 08:43:08 PM »
I'd use it, then chiffonade the peel. Just made a Golden Strong with the zest of 5 oranges.

Exactly!  A zester is great (grate) for cooking, but for brewing a peeler is faster and easier.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 01:55:59 AM »
How do you zest?  I've used a zester previously, but what a pain!  I've heard people use a peeler, but am unsure how hard it is to avoid the pith.  I'd love a more efficient method.
I tried a peeler once. Once. No.

I'm assuming you are using a standard zesting  surface that you might see on one side of one of those 4 sided cheese graters. I would suggest getting a microplane zester. They are much faster and dont clog, and they also dont cut deep enough into the rind to catch any pith. I would also suggest getting a zesting glove that is usually right next to the microplane zesters. Those zesters are very sharp, and if you accidently drag your knuckles or fingertips across it, you are done zesting for the day, and it is very likely that the words that come out of your mouth will make the cat pass out.

When I make limoncello, I can zest 20 lemons in about 15 minutes, even when zesting those little Meyer lemons with rather thin rind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 02:29:24 AM »
Rotato!

https://www.facebook.com/tim.thomssen/videos/vb.100002849011796/871526276285665/?type=3&theater
I agree that if you are talking larger amounts that this is even a better way to go than a micro plane. It will "shave" some time off for sure.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 03:11:35 AM »
For the kumquats I use in a wit, I use a knife only and it works very well--zesters and peelers I found to be cumbersome. After removing the skin, I just scrape any pith from the underside: very easy. But this might say more about my inability to use a zester or peeler than anything else...and especially because kumquats are tiny.

And speaking of kumquats, it is kumquat season again--my wife picked up a couple of containers the other day--and so I'll be getting out my trusty knife again soon. But first I like to sugar up a few and enjoy them with some shots of scotch (Caol Ila especially): great holiday season treat.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled:Spruce Ale, Irish Stout, Amber Ale, Dubbel, Brown Ale, Brown Porter, Smoked Porter, Spruce Porter, Scottish Ale, Chinook APA, Wit.

Fermenting: Pale Bitter

Next Brews: Marzen, Dark Bitter, Vienna Lager

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 10:45:06 PM »
This works for me.  Cut orange into quarters.  Remove meat.  Lay the peel pith side up on a cutting board and use a razor blade widget to separate the pith from the peel.  Fast and effective.  With a little practice, the entire pith can be removed with one swipe of the razor. 

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »
Rotato!

Love the Old Style in the pic!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 12:32:02 AM »
That beer is hard to find around here. It has that creamy mouth feel w/o 1450 lol!!  The beer the zest steeped in is fantastic.

Jeff B

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
Micro plane is the way to fly. Good tools in the kitchen are invaluable. But the good stuff once. Peeler will get the white stuff too.

Jimmykx250

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »
A little health food store near my house sells dried orange peel. Has anyone ever used that?

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 11:32:59 PM »
A little health food store near my house sells dried orange peel. Has anyone ever used that?

I've never seen dried orange peel minus the pith.  The pith is not your friend.  The pith will produce unpleasant bitterness and temporary aroma of hot garbage in your beer.  The garbage aroma should disappear after a month in the package and the orange will still be there.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »

I've never seen dried orange peel minus the pith.  The pith is not your friend.  The pith will produce unpleasant bitterness and temporary aroma of hot garbage in your beer.  The garbage aroma should disappear after a month in the package and the orange will still be there.

when I looked at it it looked like they made no effort to remove the pith.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:51 PM »
A fresh orange with most of the pith removed is my preference.  Dried orange with the pith can produce a good result with a little extra aging.