Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pot Brownie  (Read 4116 times)

Offline RVIGZ

• 1st Kit
Pot Brownie
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:51 am »
So I have a fantastic sweet chocolate stout recipe that tastes like brownies. My plan is to use this chocolate stout recipe, set aside a few gallons and try dry hopping it in order to make a "pot brownie" variation. I just wanted some suggestions as far as what hops to use or different ingredients. I was thinking that if I dry hopped it, it would still be sweet and not much flavor would come from the hops but the aroma would make it smell similar to a pot brownie. I'm trying to keep it legal here so I'm not going to just throw some weed in the mix. Thoughts/suggestions?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pot Brownie
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:55:32 am »
So I have a fantastic sweet chocolate stout recipe that tastes like brownies. My plan is to use this chocolate stout recipe, set aside a few gallons and try dry hopping it in order to make a "pot brownie" variation. I just wanted some suggestions as far as what hops to use or different ingredients. I was thinking that if I dry hopped it, it would still be sweet and not much flavor would come from the hops but the aroma would make it smell similar to a pot brownie. I'm trying to keep it legal here so I'm not going to just throw some weed in the mix. Thoughts/suggestions?

Pot/dank = Columbus hops. Period.   :)
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pot Brownie
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:01:32 am »
I'd use a blend. Columbus, chinook, simcoe, apollo.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:04:00 am by Stevie »

Offline RVIGZ

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:02:11 am »

[/quote]

How many ounces do you think I should add per gallon and for how long in order to not add flavor but get a good aroma? In secondary?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:07:28 am »

How many ounces do you think I should add per gallon and for how long in order to not add flavor but get a good aroma? In secondary?
[/quote]

Maybe .5 oz/gallon at flameout (no steep) would give you some good aroma with minimal flavor.
Jon H.

Offline RVIGZ

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:35:27 am »

Maybe .5 oz/gallon at flameout (no steep) would give you some good aroma with minimal flavor.
[/quote]

So at flameout? How long should I leave the hops in? Until primary ferment is complete? Like a week or so?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:37:43 am »

So at flameout? How long should I leave the hops in? Until primary ferment is complete? Like a week or so?
[/quote]

At flameout, then cool. If you dry hop or steep the hops, you'll pick up more flavor than you seem to want. Add at flameout and chill immediately and you'll get mostly aroma.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:57:28 am »
I thought this was really going to be about pot brownies. Now that it is legal it's an interesting question wether or not it violates our rule about talking about illegal activities. I suppose not as long as you are in a state where it's legal.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »

[/quote]

yup, Columbus are pretty dank, comet tastes and smells like a good sativa strain to me as well.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »
I thought this was really going to be about pot brownies. Now that it is legal it's an interesting question wether or not it violates our rule about talking about illegal activities. I suppose not as long as you are in a state where it's legal.

Ha!  And here I was going to drop a recipe on a stout once that I brewed way back in college 20 or so years ago with the cousin.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:34:29 pm »

Ha!  And here I was going to drop a recipe on a stout once that I brewed way back in college 20 or so years ago with the cousin.
I was about to give out my majoun recipe I adapted from William S. Borough's autobiography. It was closer to twenty days ago than twenty years ago since I last made it though. Theoretically. I'm not actually admitting anything.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 05:28:02 pm »

I was about to give out my majoun recipe I adapted from William S. Borough's autobiography. It was closer to twenty days ago than twenty years ago since I last made it though. Theoretically. I'm not actually admitting anything.

Probably because you just can't "remember" right?

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 06:08:27 pm »
You should definitely use some "Hop Hash" in it  ;)
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »
Give us the brownie recipe...we will work on the pot part and get back to you...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 04:07:18 am »
Definitely Columbus.
Brian
mobrewer