Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016  (Read 10772 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:31:07 am »
Seeing this in the store makes me happy every year.   

For whatever reason, it always tastes different than I remember from the previous year, but it's always great.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:36:25 am »
Sierra Nevada has said that they use the same amount of the hops every year, but seasonal changes will result in differences in the beer. Edit- they might account for different alpha for bittering, but the oils will be different in the later additions.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:07:19 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:42 am »
I'm sure my memory of what something tasted like a year ago is also totally wrong. 

I really love this beer.  I used to brew a Celebrationesque IPA every so often, maybe I should dust it off while I have some of the real stuff to compare it to.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:29 am »
I'm gonna buy like I have every year. For whatever reason, last year's was the 'worst' Celebration I've ever had. I spaced out the 12 bottles over a 2 week period and found them all lacking in malt and hop character as compared to previous recollections, but good (and Lord knows I've bought enough over the years). Gonna get some this weekend.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:33:33 am »
You know you're a beer geek when you say "this year's Celebration isn't as good as last year's."  It's one of he most consistent beers I've ever had.  Let's face it, over the course of a year, how accurate is your memory gonna be?  I know how I'd answer that!  And even if you store some from the year before, it will have changed so you won't be able to compare.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 11:36:43 am »
You know you're a beer geek when you say "this year's Celebration isn't as good as last year's."  It's one of he most consistent beers I've ever had.  Let's face it, over the course of a year, how accurate is your memory gonna be?  I know how I'd answer that!  And even if you store some from the year before, it will have changed so you won't be able to compare.

Guilty as charged ;D  In my defense, I'll say that I agree with it being extremely consistent year to year (one of my all time faves) - until last year.   :)
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:20 am »
Guilty as charged ;D  In my defense, I'll say that I agree with it being extremely consistent year to year (one of my all time faves) - until last year.   :)

;)  That wasn't necessarily aimed at you....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 02:01:36 pm »
Yeah, this is one beer that I never get tired of.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 03:14:04 pm »
Finished a 6 pack a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed this year's offering more than the past couple of years.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:31:43 pm »
See, now I thought this year's was a bit lackluster. But then again, I pounded through the 12 pack in no time even though it was about 6 wks old from packaging. The freshest I could find locally unfortunately.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 01:20:08 pm »

Frankly, Denny, I just don't remember.......
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 10:02:51 am »
I had it on draft recently and did not care for it much at all. I even double checked the tap to see if the barkeep could have mistakenly poured a different beer. I am sure I will hit it several more times before it goes bye bye, but what I had wasn't nearly as good as last year. Perhaps it was mishandled, perhaps tap line issues, perhaps a difference between East vs West coast breweries. At any rate, if I hit it again and the experience is the same I won't be hitting it anymore this year.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 07:22:00 am »
So I had it last night in the same city, but a different venue and it was a completely different beer. My guess is they had the draft lines mixed up because even old and abused the two beers had little similarity. It was great so if I go back to the first place tonight I might ask for a taste before I snag a pint.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »
Sitting with a pint of this right now.  On tap at my local beer shop.   Not the time for a full review so I will just say that it is delicious and I find it basically the same beer as previous years.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »
I look forward to it every year. The label is just so christmasy. I like it, but I'd be happy if I could get their stout on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk