Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016  (Read 10770 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2016, 09:29:00 pm »

Edit - this says Pale and wheat malts. Since pale malt is first, there would be more of it.
https://learn.kegerator.com/firestone-walker-luponic-distortion-002/

If you have anything else, please post.

I do recall an early version was said to be pale and wheat and then I recall reading 100% wheat.  The only source of recollection is something I (thought) I read from Firestone.

It's possible all versions contain pale and wheat.  The Luponic malt bill has consistently reaffirmed my preference for using a variety of malts beyond base.
The reason I am interested is that a 100% wheat malt beer is a pain to mash and lauter. It can be done in a production brewery, but even the Germans use barley for a little less than half of the grist.

It's certainly possible the beer is not 100% wheat.  Like I said before, I do recall at least one of the early versions was disclosed as pale and wheat.  The reason I said 100% wheat is due to the memory of reading about it and it seemed unusual.  It's possible I read an erroneous Firestone blog entry.  It's possible my memory is incorrect.  It's possible I'm typing this in your basement right now.   
You may or may not be in my basement. If I go down there to look, will my cat be dead?

The 100% wheat malt beer I did had a very long mash schedule, including 1 hour at 122F. The lauter was longer than normal, but the protein rest and rice hulls were the key to getting it to work.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2016, 10:09:58 am »
I knew you were good for something!  Now to find some flavorfull decaf beans....

So, getting back to this...

My wife can only drink decaf and she lamented the flavors of all she tried vs. the real deal. Then about a year ago we spent a day in Athens, GA and had dinner at Five And Ten (excellent choice, BTW) and she was blown away by the decaf coffee they served. The waiter told us it was from Counter Culture Coffee in Durham, NC. It is their Slow Motion selection. We came home and immediately signed up to have it automatically delivered every month. I plan to get an extra bag soon to use in a coffee porter.

https://counterculturecoffee.com/store/coffee/slow-motion

"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »

Edit - this says Pale and wheat malts. Since pale malt is first, there would be more of it.

I do recall an early version was said to be pale and wheat and then I recall reading 100% wheat.  The only source of recollection is something I (thought) I read from Firestone.

It's possible all versions contain pale and wheat.  The Luponic malt bill has consistently reaffirmed my preference for using a variety of malts beyond base.
The reason I am interested is that a 100% wheat malt beer is a pain to mash and lauter. It can be done in a production brewery, but even the Germans use barley for a little less than half of the grist.

It's certainly possible the beer is not 100% wheat.  Like I said before, I do recall at least one of the early versions was disclosed as pale and wheat.  The reason I said 100% wheat is due to the memory of reading about it and it seemed unusual.  It's possible I read an erroneous Firestone blog entry.  It's possible my memory is incorrect.  It's possible I'm typing this in your basement right now.   
You may or may not be in my basement. If I go down there to look, will my cat be dead?
Are you conducting physics experiments in your basement again?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2017, 11:18:30 am »

Are you conducting physics experiments in your basement again?
Physics thought experiments.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2017, 03:52:09 pm »
This has taken some strange turns to get to a Schrodinger's cat joke.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2017, 07:37:46 pm »
Yeah sorry, I've been turning into one of those people who inserts random annoying comments and gets the thread off-topic.  Maybe subconsciously I'm trying to get my post count up.

Yeah I've had Celebration.  Seems like a Red IPA.  Similar to Boulevard Nutcracker Ale. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2017, 07:58:13 pm »
Nothing like nutcracker.

Am I dense and missing a joke here?

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:55 pm »
I look forward to it every year. The label is just so christmasy. I like it, but I'd be happy if I could get their stout on a regular basis.

Yeah, I love their stout, too. It's pretty underrated.

They have a coffee stout in their winter mixed 12 pack that is awesome. I wish they would sell that on it's own.

Man, I love well made coffee stouts, thats for sure. My only stupid issue is I can't seem to drink them at night as they keep me up later than I want to be. My wimpy, high-strung nervous system.....
Blue moons coffee stout is made with decaf coffee. It's actually pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Sierra Nevada Celebration 2016
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2017, 09:19:59 pm »
Yeah sorry, I've been turning into one of those people who inserts random annoying comments and gets the thread off-topic.  Maybe subconsciously I'm trying to get my post count up.

Yeah I've had Celebration.  Seems like a Red IPA.  Similar to Boulevard Nutcracker Ale.
Forgot to insert smiley after first paragraph

serious about the similarities.   I've never had them side by side but in recent years Boulevard Nutcracker has seemed hoppier then in the past and as hoppy as Celebration.

Edit: I have been drinking Nutcracker since 1996 so my memory and palate my be faulty. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:23:17 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer