Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Lager off flavors  (Read 4479 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Pale Lager off flavors
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 12:12:56 pm »
I've never heard anyone else describe it like this, but DMS in beer, at me at least, sorta tastes like blue cheese.  Again, this is just my palate, but maybe its what you're tasting?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:02 pm »
I've never heard anyone else describe it like this, but DMS in beer, at me at least, sorta tastes like blue cheese.  Again, this is just my palate, but maybe its what you're tasting?

I don't know my off flavors very well. DMS is also described as cooked corn a lot as well?

Blue cheese; maybe. I will have to re-evaluate as sweaty gym sock still sticks in my head as the best descriptor however I can see how that can be similar to blue cheese  :o
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 07:10:45 pm »
Soaking the line in PBW overnight. I kind of remember cleaning the line on the first lager that had this flavor with no change. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 09:50:38 pm »
Isovaleric acid is one of those flavors where we have MAJOR threshold differences.  It cannot be tasted at all by a good chunk of the population (me included).  I was at a Siebel off tasting seminar, and when they brought that out, most folks were making the nasty foul-taste face, while others of us happily drank away like it wasn't there (because to us, it wasn't).

I usually get DMS as vegetal, more like boiled cabbage, and occasionally like shellfish (clams or oysters).  Sulphur comes across to me like farts or rotten eggs, but it will often dissipate if I swirl the glass.

Lots of lagers tend to display multiple symptoms simultaneously.  This is usually due to weak fermentation -- lack of cell count and/or not enough nutrients or O2. I don't know how the new move towards lo oxygen affects beers.  I assume the idea there is don't add o2 and really boost cell count so no cell growth is required.

If you want to send me a bottle, I'd be happy to see if I can help diagnose it for you.
PM me.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 10:18:35 pm »
Soaking the line in PBW overnight. I kind of remember cleaning the line on the first lager that had this flavor with no change. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Try using BLC (beverage line cleaner)
Brian
mobrewer

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:03 pm »
Try using BLC (beverage line cleaner)
+1
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 05:53:13 am »
It isn't Mercaptan is it. or the 3 methyl 2 butene thiol?a sulfuric, putrid, skunky aroma, typically due to a reaction between hops’ alpha acids and sulfur compounds in the presence of sunlight or electric light.

Or is it moldy, musty, and cheesy from oxidation?  Either one is from Alpha acids and Sulphur reacting to light or oxygen.  Its not sitting in the light is it, transferring from keg to keg outside? Or fermented with the light left on?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:57:33 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:43 am »
It isn't Mercaptan is it. or the 3 methyl 2 butene thiol?a sulfuric, putrid, skunky aroma, typically due to a reaction between hops’ alpha acids and sulfur compounds in the presence of sunlight or electric light.

Or is it moldy, musty, and cheesy from oxidation?  Either one is from Alpha acids and Sulphur reacting to light or oxygen.  Its not sitting in the light is it, transferring from keg to keg outside? Or fermented with the light left on?

It has seen very little light as it was fermented in a chest freezer then straight to keg.

What I am experiencing is not noticeable in the aroma and it has not made the beer undrinkable. I seem to be more sensitive to it and my buddy commented that is how all pilsners taste to him. It could definitely be oxidized however it seems to be showing signs of it earlier than I would expect. As mentioned earlier, the first beer seemed to improve not worsen however it took a lot of time and never really got 'good'.

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 10:56:56 am »

It has seen very little light as it was fermented in a chest freezer then straight to keg.

What I am experiencing is not noticeable in the aroma and it has not made the beer undrinkable. I seem to be more sensitive to it and my buddy commented that is how all pilsners taste to him. It could definitely be oxidized however it seems to be showing signs of it earlier than I would expect. As mentioned earlier, the first beer seemed to improve not worsen however it took a lot of time and never really got 'good'.

Oxidation can take many forms. It happens in all beers, its the rate at which it happens that we have control of.
I am not saying it is oxygen, but here is a flavor chart of oxidation flavors.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 11:02:42 am »
Isovaleric acid is one of those flavors where we have MAJOR threshold differences.  It cannot be tasted at all by a good chunk of the population (me included).  I was at a Siebel off tasting seminar, and when they brought that out, most folks were making the nasty foul-taste face, while others of us happily drank away like it wasn't there (because to us, it wasn't).

I usually get DMS as vegetal, more like boiled cabbage, and occasionally like shellfish (clams or oysters).  Sulphur comes across to me like farts or rotten eggs, but it will often dissipate if I swirl the glass.

Lots of lagers tend to display multiple symptoms simultaneously.  This is usually due to weak fermentation -- lack of cell count and/or not enough nutrients or O2. I don't know how the new move towards lo oxygen affects beers.  I assume the idea there is don't add o2 and really boost cell count so no cell growth is required.

If you want to send me a bottle, I'd be happy to see if I can help diagnose it for you.
PM me.

Thanks for the offer. I am so bad at this. Now I am starting to wonder if it is more oxidation than anything. Kind of getting that damp cardboard thing. I am going to give it a couple of more weeks to see how it develops and then I might definitely take you up on your offer.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 06:47:04 pm »

Oxidation can take many forms. It happens in all beers, its the rate at which it happens that we have control of.
I am not saying it is oxygen, but here is a flavor chart of oxidation flavors.

Thanks for this very helpful. Tasting the beer now and I am thinking it is oxidation. I think what I was describing as gym socks may be wet cardboard. In any case it has subsided considerably and seems to be being replaced by a honey like sweetness. That makes sense when looking at the chart.