Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 Kegs but only one regulator and gas line  (Read 2285 times)

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
2 Kegs but only one regulator and gas line
« on: May 25, 2017, 03:18:53 pm »
I currently have 2 ball lock corny kegs. One which has been kegged for a couple weeks and is fully carbonated. The other I just kegged over lunch break today. I am only setup at the moment to operate one keg at at time. I know that I can buy splitters and such to run both kegs at once but its not in the budget right now. Assuming the carbonated keg is sealed well, should it remain carbonated for a while when the CO2 is hooked up to the other keg?? Wondering if I should keep the CO2 mainly on the newly kegged batch and ever so often (every couple of days) give the carbonated batch a little shot of CO2 just to be safe....Thoughts or experience with using 2 kegs while only setup for one?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2 Kegs but only one regulator and gas line
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »
You're correct.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:10:38 pm »
If you are actively drinking the beer that is ready, it will lose carbonation if you don't hook it back up. Basically drink a couple and hook up the gas to re-pressurize the head space.

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:32:25 am »
Thanks guys! I did bottle some for the weekend quick last night off of the carbed keg just using the pressure that was in the keg and a poor mans beer gun. Seemed to work well. After that I hit it with some CO2 to re-pressurize and then put the CO2 back on the newly kegged beer to keep carbonating.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:11:42 am »
I do this all the time.  After serving a few pints from a keg not attached to gas the pressure will have dropped a bit and will pour slower, but won't lose too much carbonation.  When it gets slower I add more pressure, but don't leave the CO2 attached to the serving keg.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:54:57 am »
I do this all the time.  After serving a few pints from a keg not attached to gas the pressure will have dropped a bit and will pour slower, but won't lose too much carbonation.  When it gets slower I add more pressure, but don't leave the CO2 attached to the serving keg.

Same here.
Jon H.