Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Green beer bottles?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Green beer bottles?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 08:25:11 am »
I was excited to see Saison Dupont in a BROWN bottle recently.

All the 330ml Dupont beers are brown bottled.

AFAIK the 330ml bottles have always been brown but Dupont is moving the 750ml bottles to brown as well.

As much as a handful of American saison brewers wax philosophical about the magic of green bottles and how Belgian saison brewers intend for skunking to be part of the beer's character that's just not true. It was cost prohibitive to get brown 750ml champagne bottles in Belgium for a long time. Somebody asked Brasserie Dupont about this and that's the response they gave.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Re: Green beer bottles?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 08:27:40 am »
I was excited to see Saison Dupont in a BROWN bottle recently.

All the 330ml Dupont beers are brown bottled.

AFAIK the 330ml bottles have always been brown but Dupont is moving the 750ml bottles to brown as well.

As much as a handful of American saison brewers wax philosophical about the magic of green bottles and how Belgian saison brewers intend for skunking to be part of the beer's character that's just not true. It was cost prohibitive to get brown 750ml champagne bottles in Belgium for a long time. Somebody asked Brasserie Dupont about this and that's the response they gave.

I did suspect that was the reason.  I only ever bought the 330ml ones so never had the chance to try the green bottle.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017