Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxidation during kegging?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
Oxidation during kegging?
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:09:03 am »
I kegged today (3rd time overall). After auto-siphoning about 1/2 gallon into the keg, I realized that I have forgotten to place some co2 at the bottom of the keg, so I removed the auto-siphon and pumped co2 into the keg, that's when I heard liquid moving. I then put the auto-siphon back on and heard bubbling from the keg, I am under the impression that this was oxygen.  Is the beer ruined? After the keg was filled, I purged it a few times with co2 and then set it in the kegerator for carbonation.

I have also noticed that some trub ran up the auto-siphon, is this going to be a problem?  I intended on bottling this batch with a beer gun and passing it out for Christmas gifts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:15:41 am by M-O-O-N That spells beer! »
Na zdrowie!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: Oxidation during kegging?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:49 pm »
I would say that it's definitely not ruined.  You did the right thing by giving it a blanket of CO2 and then purging the keg a few times.  No sweat, Chet.  Hope it turns out great for you and your giftees. 

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:38:21 am »
I don't recommend this, but, on the last batch I kegged my autosiphon broke. I ended up picking up the fermenter and pouring it into the keg.

No oxidation problems yet. The batch won't last long.

I did purge the keg with CO2 first and quite a bit of yeast went in the keg with the beer.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:38:16 am »
I don't recommend this, but, on the last batch I kegged my autosiphon broke. I ended up picking up the fermenter and pouring it into the keg.

I did purge the keg with CO2 first and quite a bit of yeast went in the keg with the beer.
Seriously? lol you poured the beer into the keg??? Wow... I'd have rigged up an old school siphon with just a hose (had to do that before when auto siphon stopped working).
Jesse

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
Yikes!!!!!!

Online tommymorris

Oxidation during kegging?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 12:52:18 pm »

Seriously? lol you poured the beer into the keg??? Wow... I'd have rigged up an old school siphon with just a hose (had to do that before when auto siphon stopped working).
Seriously. I couldn't get the old school siphon to work either.  I usually don't use a fermenter that needs siphoning at all. My other fermenter has a spigot. Overtime I guess I lost the tubing which was long enough to siphon. It was a cluster and I just gave up.

All's well that ends well though. The beer is great.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 01:19:37 pm »
Seriously. I couldn't get the old school siphon to work either.  I usually don't use a fermenter that needs siphoning at all. My other fermenter has a spigot. Overtime I guess I lost the tubing which was long enough to siphon. It was a cluster and I just gave up.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »

At the time, I figured what the heck our grandfather's generation brewed in buckets under the bed...

The beer turned out great.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »

At the time, I figured what the heck our grandfather's generation brewed in buckets under the bed...

The beer turned out great.

Haha!
Jesse

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »
I would say that it's definitely not ruined.  You did the right thing by giving it a blanket of CO2 and then purging the keg a few times.  No sweat, Chet.  Hope it turns out great for you and your giftees.

It's only been carbonating for a week at 8psi but I had to try it out. Everything seems to be fine, no off flavors or anything unusual with it. I'll just pour a couple of pints until it runs clear and I'll run the beer gun.

Cheers!
Na zdrowie!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:18:55 pm »

This is awesome. I have a crazy visual in my head right now of you pulling this off. Drink that one fast!