Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: decoction mashing / home brewing myths  (Read 7787 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: decoction mashing / home brewing myths
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 09:41:59 am »
statements like "a TRUE brewing method" (empahsis mine) make me  ::)

but decoction works for me and I'll keep doing it.  YMMV

cheers--
--Michael

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 09:57:32 am »
statements like "a TRUE brewing method" (empahsis mine) make me  ::)

but decoction works for me and I'll keep doing it.  YMMV

cheers--
--Michael

Yep.  My thoughts on decoction are well known.  If I thought it would make beer I liked better, I'd do it.  But in repeated trials that hasn't happened.  Brew whatever you like however you like, but when you start making grand pronouncements about the "true" way I'm gonna call BS.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 10:51:23 am »
I've always been interested in processes and procedures in general, I guess that's what drew me to home brewing in the first place. If their is such a thing, what is the easiest way for a home brewer to tackle the decoction mash? Are their any good, step by step articles you can recommend reading?

Thanks guys and gals.
Curtdogg

It's not specific to decoction mashing, but I think the best explanation I have read of the mashing process is in Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix.  It made a lot more sense to me than the chapter on mashing in How to Brew by Palmer.

"Beta converts glucose into complex types of sugar called maltose and malto-trios."

That's something I have never heard before.  That enzymes in the mash create more complex sugars like maltose (a disaccharide) and maltotriose (a trisaccharide) from glucose (a monosaccharide)?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

The Beerery

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 03:11:25 pm »
I've always been interested in processes and procedures in general, I guess that's what drew me to home brewing in the first place. If their is such a thing, what is the easiest way for a home brewer to tackle the decoction mash? Are their any good, step by step articles you can recommend reading?

Thanks guys and gals.
Curtdogg

It's not specific to decoction mashing, but I think the best explanation I have read of the mashing process is in Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix.  It made a lot more sense to me than the chapter on mashing in How to Brew by Palmer.

"Beta converts glucose into complex types of sugar called maltose and malto-trios."

That's something I have never heard before.  That enzymes in the mash create more complex sugars like maltose (a disaccharide) and maltotriose (a trisaccharide) from glucose (a monosaccharide)?

"By saccharification is meant the complete degradation of starch to maltose and iodine normal limit dextrins by amylases. The iodine test is used to see if it is complete (Fig. 3.33). The starch degradation products formed during mashing differ substantially with regard to fermentability by brewer's yeast:
Limit dextrins are not fermented; these include all glucose chains of up to 1 O glucose molecules. Maltotriose is fermented by all top fermentation strains. However, it is not fermented by yeast until the maltose has been fermented, in other words during storage (late fermentation sugar). Maltose and other disaccharides are easily and rapidly fermented by yeast (main fermentation sugar). Glucose is the first sugar used by yeast(initial fermentation sugar). The percentage of fermentable sugar in the total wort extract determines the attenuation limit establishes the potential alcohol content of the beer and consequently has a decisive influence on the character of the beer. The proportion of fermentable sugars is determined by the variable activity of the enzymes. Consequently the attenuation limit is
also established during mashing." -Kunze
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:13:36 pm by The Beerery »

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 12:52:17 pm »
I have read that decoction is a dated method and completely unnecessary for grains available to us today. There is always contradiction to everything. I'm still a newbie so I don't have any experience to share with decoction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »
I have read that decoction is a dated method and completely unnecessary for grains available to us today. There is always contradiction to everything. I'm still a newbie so I don't have any experience to share with decoction.

I would answer that with a maybe, and it depends.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 02:29:17 pm »

I still have the opinion that it was used before well modified malts and accurate thermometers. Completely unnecessary today.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 03:18:31 pm »

I still have the opinion that it was used before well modified malts and accurate thermometers. Completely unnecessary today.

Not only unnecessary, but my repeated tests don't indicate that it makes a beer that I prefer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »
Decoction is not only about flavor, its about extract potential and other things as well. Take for instance wheat, it benefits from a decoction.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »
what about the taste of a decocted beer did you not like Denny?

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 01:52:21 am »
what about the taste of a decocted beer did you not like Denny?

you would be better served asking why he didnt prefer the beer. he never said he did not like it. Decoction is alot of time and energy (literally) so why go through the trouble for results that are obtained with less effort. I am not likely to use the method if I can produce great beer without it. Many say it doesnt do much with todays malts, though I will probably break down one day and decoct a batch to see for myself.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:41 am »
This sums it up, but doesn't adress the oxygen issue http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/08/in-defense-of-decoction-a-german-purists-perspective-on-an-age-old-brewing-method/

The Beerery

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:47 am »
Very good article. Few things smell better than a boiling decoction mash.
This got me though, laugh out loud. "With an infusion mash (a most extreme case being the Anglo-American single infusion mash), specialty malts are often the only option for increasing a beer’s complexity. Just look at the high percentage of caramel malts included in so many single infusion mashing recipes…"
 ;D

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:41 am »
Does anyone else besides me just enjoy the process of doing a decoction mash? I'm planning a Dunkel brew day of some sort soon...should be fun outside on a wintry day.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 07:29:34 am »
Does anyone else besides me just enjoy the process of doing a decoction mash? I'm planning a Dunkel brew day of some sort soon...should be fun outside on a wintry day.

I'll agree, it's fun!  As for taste, jury is still out.... I ran an experiment decoction vs. not where folks could taste a difference, but I'm left wondering if I messed up the experiment somehow, so I need to run it again.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.