Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: decoction mashing / home brewing myths  (Read 7779 times)

The Beerery

Re: decoction mashing / home brewing myths
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 07:38:22 am »
Does anyone else besides me just enjoy the process of doing a decoction mash? I'm planning a Dunkel brew day of some sort soon...should be fun outside on a wintry day.

Before I knew what I know now. I built an automated Decoction vessel, that I could add in addition to my 3 vessel. I called it a MDU(mobile decoction unit). Automated induction plate, with an automated stirrer(copper even!). It was glorious. Now it just sits in the corner giving me the stink eye.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 07:40:22 am »
I am particular about the style that benefits from it.  Your 'standard' brews do not need it or benefit from it.  I enjoy a decoction brew day.  That is generally when I geek out with friends and have a few brewing assistants.  So it's more of the memory of making the beer than it is a quest of making better beer.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 07:43:01 am »
Have you tried to sell it? And do you think a low oxygen process could be followed if you mash separately if you do a single decoction and pour it all into the regular mash tun?

Maybe if I could afford it, I'd buy one of these, and do something similar. https://www.google.no/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/testing-do-it-all-kitchen-appliances-that-chop-blend-stir-and-cook-1464894620?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 07:51:43 am »
Have you tried to sell it? And do you think a low oxygen process could be followed if you mash separately if you do a single decoction and pour it all into the regular mash tun?

No, I have not. I will keep it, who knows when another project will present itself!

I could not get the levels of DO, I can with my infusion process. The scale really hurts us here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 10:10:29 am »
what about the taste of a decocted beer did you not like Denny?

It wasn't that I didn't like the decocted beers (and there were a lot of tasters besides me), it's that the tasters didn't prefer the decocted beers.  In effect, there was no reason to do a decoction of people didn't prefer the beers made with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 10:12:19 am »
Very good article. Few things smell better than a boiling decoction mash.
This got me though, laugh out loud. "With an infusion mash (a most extreme case being the Anglo-American single infusion mash), specialty malts are often the only option for increasing a beer’s complexity. Just look at the high percentage of caramel malts included in so many single infusion mashing recipes…"
 ;D

This is kind of a rhetorical question, but so what?  What's wrong with using caramel malts to get the flavor profile you want?  Why should this guy dictate how everybody else should brew?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
Very good article. Few things smell better than a boiling decoction mash.
This got me though, laugh out loud. "With an infusion mash (a most extreme case being the Anglo-American single infusion mash), specialty malts are often the only option for increasing a beer’s complexity. Just look at the high percentage of caramel malts included in so many single infusion mashing recipes…"
 ;D

This is kind of a rhetorical question, but so what?  What's wrong with using caramel malts to get the flavor profile you want?  Why should this guy dictate how everybody else should brew?

I didn't write nor publish the article.. Ask him!

I simply laughed at the wording of the snippet I posted. I myself use Infusion mashing (Albeit not Anglo-American single infusion mash.. HAHA that gets me) and caramalts to achieve flavor profiles.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:21:52 am by The Beerery »

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:20 am »
I'm now going to refer to myself as a anglo American brewer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:07 am »

I didn't write nor publish the article.. Ask him!

I simply laughed at the wording of the snippet I posted. I myself use Infusion mashing (Albeit not Anglo-American single infusion mash.. HAHA that gets me) and caramalts to achieve flavor profiles.

Yeah, I realize that...that's why I said it was a rhetorical question!  Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 10:51:08 am »
Does anyone else besides me just enjoy the process of doing a decoction mash? I'm planning a Dunkel brew day of some sort soon...should be fun outside on a wintry day.

If you enjoy a decoction mash you might love a turbid mash.

Hours (literally) of fun.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 12:47:47 pm »

If you enjoy a decoction mash you might love a turbid mash.

Hours (literally) of fun.

Oh yeah, that is some true fun!

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 09:35:37 am »
The guys at Brulosophy just posted their experiment using triple decoction vs single infusion:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/12/mash-methods-pt-3-decoction-vs-single-infusion-exbeeriment-results/

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 10:18:58 am »
Fantastic!  Their results mirror my own for a similar experiment I ran a couple of months ago.  I've not yet published the results, which are very confusing to say the least... if memory serves, about 13 out of 17 people were able to taste a difference in my two marzens.  I was blindly able to figure it out 2 out of 2 times.  I literally even blindfolded myself to avoid any difference due to appearance, as like Brulosophy's, my single infusion beer was more hazy than the decocted.  They did taste different, albeit slightly so and NOT for the reasons you might expect -- no melanoidin or burnt flavors.  Just different.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 10:59:53 am »
The guys at Brulosophy just posted their experiment using triple decoction vs single infusion:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/12/mash-methods-pt-3-decoction-vs-single-infusion-exbeeriment-results/

I have been saying this since 2008.  Good to know they agree.  http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/DennyConn.pdf

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 08:31:02 pm »
I spent some time in Germany again this summer. Some breweries don't decoct their Helles and Pilsners. I will name one as Ayinger, that does not decoct the Helles and light colored beers, but does decoct the wheat and dark beers. A little place in Niederbayern decocts their Sunkel, which is almost all that they make.

Pilsner Urquell decocts. They malt their own grain. They use copper mash tuns and boil kettles. They put in a new brewhouse around 1999, and insisted on copper to make the beer taste the same.

It might be a good thing if the Brülosophy folks decoct A Hefeweizen or a Dunkel.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!