Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB Questions  (Read 1245 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
BIAB Questions
« on: December 08, 2016, 06:48:39 am »
So I am going to do no-sparge BIAB on a budget.  I have an Update International  32 Qt Aluminum Stock Pot ( I know I wont get a full 5 gallons using this pot).  But to go to all grain, I can't do it on my stove any more.  Will Bayou Classic SP10 work as a burner? I do know about double milling the grain and I've been reading enough about over the past 6 months and think its the best option for me. 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: BIAB Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:23:06 am »
The SP10 should definitely work...it's the burner a lot of us used when starting out all grain. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:27:58 am »
The burner and kettle will work.  It is an 8 gal max vol, that's 4.5-5 gal batches, but you need to look at building up to a mash cooler or get a keg block party together and cut for a keggle.

If you're going higher than 1.060ish you will take a hit on volume.  Which, I have not had an issue with.  There is always the partial mashing for those brews.  I have to say, it will make beer, but eventually you will want the upgrade to a better kettle.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:34:29 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:22:47 am »
alright thanks.  I just need to upgrade over the stove and partial mash.  for high gravity beers, i will do smaller batches. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:00:24 am »
If you don't have wind to contend with, I'd recommend the sq14 over the sp10. More stable design and an upgraded burner. Only drawback is the lack of windscreen.

Bayou Classic Single Burner Patio Stove https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-nysyb4T80CE4