Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Mash Ph  (Read 1765 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Low Mash Ph
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:50 pm »
I'll start with that I have come around to Bru'n Water, I really like it and thank Martin for putting it out. The pay version is very much worth it. With that said, Bru'n Water has been quite reliable for me, the last batch was pretty much spot on with it's estimation (5.35) for a Cream Ale. So today when I brewed a Bitter and shot for around the same ph estimation I was a bit taken back when I measured 5.15 after about 10 mins of a recirculating mash. I didn't sweat it and didnt' adjust knowing the mash usually stabalizes a bit more through the mash and probably was closer to 5.2.

So I started thinking back after the brew day to what may have been a factor and I remember 2 things. I got side tracked while calibrating my ph meter and weighing out my mineral additions that I forgot my strike water was nearing temp, so it blew right past 166* and was boiling when I came back to it, could of been boiling give or take 5 mins. I also forgot to add my acid to the strike water as I'm heating the water like usual so I added it just before mashing in.

I remember seeing somewhere Martin mentions to add acid before heating as you can remove more alkalinity than intended. So I was curious if it was more so this or the boiling which can also lower alkalinity or bicarbonate (not sure exactly but with the same effect). I'll note I'm not worried about the actual mash ph as it wasn't too far out of the relm of acceptable and everything else went just fine but more so wanting to understand what lead to it. Maybe the combo and not so much one or the other alone?

The Beerery

Re: Low Mash Ph
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:52:50 pm »
Did you add k meta to this batch?  If so. That's your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:25 am »
I did but only as much as I usually use for Chlorine/Chlormine removal. After we talked I figured I would wait to get the NaMeta, even though I mentioned I would try the K.

But with said I thought that would only drop ph by .1 per 100 ppm of Meta if so.

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:51:27 am »
How old is the probe on your meter?  I use the Milwaukee 102 and it looks like the probes last about a year(ish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:29:39 am »
I remember seeing somewhere Martin mentions to add acid before heating as you can remove more alkalinity than intended. So I was curious if it was more so this or the boiling which can also lower alkalinity or bicarbonate (not sure exactly but with the same effect). I'll note I'm not worried about the actual mash ph as it wasn't too far out of the relm of acceptable and everything else went just fine but more so wanting to understand what lead to it. Maybe the combo and not so much one or the other alone?

The effect of boiling on alkalinity reduction depends on the amount of Temporary Hardness in the tap water. If its typical Indiana groundwater, it could have huge Temp Hardness and the boiling could have caused a substantial reduction in alkalinity. That would through off the amount of acid actually needed for that water. A lower than anticipated pH would be a result.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will still be beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:21 am »
Thanks Martin, thats what I was looking for. I figured I was in the ballpark of understanding it correctly.  I can see how it helped to lower the ph. Its something Ill keep in mind.