Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is my 1st batch salvageable?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Ferguson.michael@hotmail.

• 1st Kit
Is my 1st batch salvageable?
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:20:53 pm »
Hi, I'm new here. I'm also new to home brewing. I'm having a problem with my first batch. I brewed up an IPA extract kit from brewers best on 12/3. I rehydrated my dry yeast according to the packet but according to the recipe I wasn't supposed to. I misjudged how long it takes for the wort to cool so it sat in Luke warm water for 20 minutes. I didn't properly aerate the wort but instead stirred the yeast in. During primary there was non bubbling but I could smell CO2 so there was probably a leak in the lid. I racked to secondary on 12/8. Since then there is no activity in the glass carbon. No bubbles, no kreuzen, nothing. Is it salvageable? Can I pitch fresh dry yeast in there or just dump it?

Also, I brewed a my 2nd batch yesterday with no mistakes. It's bubbling like crazy.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Is my 1st batch salvageable?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:33:36 pm »
Your batch is probably fine.  The "no bubbling in secondary" might not mean anything.  If the fermentation finished up in the primary, then it wouldn't really do much in the secondary other than have bits settle out and clear up. 

Did you taste it?  If it tastes ok, then you are doing fine.

Also, as an aside, most people have stopped bothering with a secondary unless they are adding fruit or something after the primary fermentation is done.  So, you can save yourself a step if you want.

Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Is my 1st batch salvageable?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:59:08 pm »
You were right to rehydrate the yeast.  BB instructions try to simplify things too much.  As long as you pitched the yeast within 30 minutes of rehydrating you are good to go.  Check the SG to see how low it is.  The fermentation could be nearly finished.