Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stirring the fermetor  (Read 2177 times)

Offline grainy one

• 1st Kit
stirring the fermetor
« on: December 10, 2016, 03:06:38 pm »
Does stirring the fermenting beer in order to help cool it off from 70 to 67 hurt the yeast. Keep in mind it was stirred up gently at high krousen . It was not shaken just gently rocked back and forth in order to help mix it up in a small water bath. I'm not looking to refine my methods just want to know if disturbing the yeast at there peek will hurt them, i.e. cause detrimental effect. Thanks for any opinions.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: stirring the fermetor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:06:07 pm »
 I doubt you hurt it.  I wouldn't worry about it getting to 70 in the first place though.  If you don't want the temp that high just make note of it and correct it on the next batch.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
During active fermentation when the yeast is still using dissolved oxygen the stirring/mixing will not be a problem. 

I use a 7.5 inch deep restaurant bussing tray for my fermentor cooling or heating.  It is surprising how fast adding either warmer or cooler water will change the temperature of the fermenting wort just due to the heat transfer to the added water.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 12:42:57 am »
When actively fermenting your beer is doing a pretty good job of stirring itself.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:16:46 am »
When actively fermenting your beer is doing a pretty good job of stirring itself.

Yes it does.
I lived in Fallon for about 18 months in the late 90s.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:38:04 am »
The question concerned cooling the wort not stirring up the yeast.  Active fermentation produces heat.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 03:42:44 pm »

Yes it does.
I lived in Fallon for about 18 months in the late 90s.

Navy?
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »
The question concerned cooling the wort not stirring up the yeast.  Active fermentation produces heat.

Understood, and the natural movement of the beer during active fermentation aids in dispersing heat into the surrounding water just as rocking would. My point was just that and not about rousing the yeast.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 07:57:55 am »
I regularly shake my fermentor during primary to rouse the yeast that may have settled.  Is the consensus  that I should not be doing that?

Offline grainy one

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 04:24:38 pm »
The ale yeast seam to work hard making that beer and destroying there floating city 72 hrs in seam to me may have some sort of effect on the yeast. I'm over thinking again but without the over thinkers out there where would we be," don't answer that". So I say again, does stiring up the fermentation vessel at the peek of activity harm or change the outcome of the beer.?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
stirring the fermetor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:07 pm »
The ale yeast seam to work hard making that beer and destroying there floating city 72 hrs in seam to me may have some sort of effect on the yeast. I'm over thinking again but without the over thinkers out there where would we be," don't answer that". So I say again, does stiring up the fermentation vessel at the peek of activity harm or change the outcome of the beer.?
Seems like you answered your own question.  I'd leave it alone.  If you don't like the fermentation temperature document your procedure and adjust a variable on the next batch.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:16 pm »
The only time I would "stir" a fermenter post-pitch would be to rouse the yeast on a stalled fermentation.  I would rock the carboy gently, rather than shake it.

If I wanted to cool the fermenter, I'd add ice or cold water to the water bath.

Keep in mind that dropping the temp on ale yeasts could cause them to floc out.  Letting the temp rise as fermentation finishes is fine to do.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton