Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: D bomb  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
D bomb
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:42:21 pm »
So I keep getting diacetyl in my IPA's? Can't be infection! So either cold crash or not hot enough at end of ferment? Or maybe to hot during ferment(I have a temp controller and start at 66* and ramp up while fermenting? Really getting irritating!!! Oh and yeast is Cal Ale 001. Carboy ferment, 1.5 L Yeast Starter. Yeast was less than a month old??? I think its the cold crash?? Any thoughts?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: D bomb
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »
Could be the cold crash.  Also consider whether you might be underpitching... maybe need 2 or 2.5 liters depending how much you're brewing and how big the beer is.  Assuming like 1.060 and 5 gallons and yeast is a few months old, you might need up to a full gallon of starter according to mrmalty.com!  I can't say I agree, but you might want to try a full 2-2.5 liters like I suggest.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:45 pm »
After reviewing my process, maybe infection??? I was not PBW washing my O2 hose, just hit with starsan!  Maybe? Just maybe, started a couple beers back and they have been good. Have an IPA ready to transfer at home now. Think I'll do the test I,ve read about. If it is infection it should show its ugly lacto/pedio/brett self. lol

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:57:33 pm »
After reviewing my process, maybe infection??? I was not PBW washing my O2 hose, just hit with starsan!  Maybe? Just maybe, started a couple beers back and they have been good. Have an IPA ready to transfer at home now. Think I'll do the test I,ve read about. If it is infection it should show its ugly lacto/pedio/brett self. lol

Yeah, I was wondering why you said it couldn't be a contamination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 03:41:53 pm »
StarSan does not kill everything. I recommend that you employ another sanitizer on occassion. I now use Iodophor as my primary sanitizer and StarSan as my secondary.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:34:48 am »
So is Iodophor better than PBW?? Should I Use it on occasion? Or switch all together? I also think that a stone on the end of a plastic tube is a bad idea. I will purchase a stone on a stainless shaft. Should be better. Thanks

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:40:07 am »

Yeah, I was wondering why you said it couldn't be a contamination.

After posting, it made me think about it. The word can't always seems like a good place to start!! Thanks

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:47:52 am »
PBW is a cleaner, not a sanitizer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 06:48:46 am »
PBW is a cleaner, it just removes the crap that can prevent a sanitize from being effective. It does not sanitize, that's what iodophor and star san are for.

I use iodophor mostly these days, though I still prefer star san for use in a spray bottle.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:58:02 am »
Assuming infection is the cause seems like jumping the gun to me. If you have repeat problems with infection, especially in only one style, then it is more likely a process problem than a chronic infection. Granted, if you do not use a sanitizer it is certainly more likely that a chronic infection exists; but I still would not jump on that as a cause without ruling out other probable causes.

If you share your normal process for IPAs we could take a look.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
So is Iodophor better than PBW?? Should I Use it on occasion? Or switch all together? I also think that a stone on the end of a plastic tube is a bad idea. I will purchase a stone on a stainless shaft. Should be better. Thanks

Iodophor is a sanitizer.  PBW is a cleaner.  Different things.  Like Martin, I've gone back to Iodophor as my primary sanitizer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 05:28:15 pm »
If it was a bacterial infection (ie pedio) that is producing diacetyl, then not only would the beer have a buttery aroma and flavor, but there could also be some acidity produced as well. You would most likely also taste a "slickness" in the mouthfeel from the glycosides produced by the bacteria as well.