Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pulling Cider Early  (Read 1589 times)

Offline keuren

• 1st Kit
Pulling Cider Early
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:09:19 pm »
So my homework on cider tells me patients pays off, but I also read a lot about ciders getting dry and some stuff about back sweetening.
My first cider has been in the fermentor for 5 days now (1.050 OG) and the airlock has settled down.  So I just have to ask, if the FG target (according to the recipe) is 1.010 to end up with a 5.2 ABV why wouldn't I avoid dryness and having to back sweeten and just pull it off before all the sugar is consumed?  I mean if I end up with a 4.0 ABV instead by racking it at say 1.019 I'm okay with that.  Is there something I'm missing? 

Offline Nwsurfkid

• 1st Kit
Re: Pulling Cider Early
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:29:02 pm »
Doesn't work that way.
Your yeast will be in suspension regardless of when you "pull it off". It will keep fermenting until sugars are consumed or frozen...unless you either pastuerize with heat or use campden tabs the yeast will keep doing their thing. You rack before FG and you will keep fermenting in your next vessel (secondary, keg, bottle, etc).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:50:33 pm »
There are multiple ways to make good cider. There are a few cider makers here who, when the cider hits a target gravity, add gelatin to drop the yeast and rack to a secondary to effectively stop fermentation. For keggers it would work fine. Personally, I like to ferment it out dry and then add campden and sorbate to stabilize, then back sweeten and acidify with malic acid. I like to hit spot on the sweetness and acidity balance I'm after (I like a fairly high amount of acidity, with just enough sweetness for some balance). As said, several ways to get there.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:41:21 am »
keuren, you are onto something good.  Gelatin, cold, and lots of racking has worked well for me.  You still need to be very careful if bottling to avoid explosions.  But if you're going to keg it, there should be less worries.  The thing is, patience is still required.  If you rush your cider, it will be like a tart fart bomb.  But if you can leave your cider alone in the fermenter in the cold for a few months, your patience will be rewarded with a naturally sweet cider like you say.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.