Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown Ale, critique  (Read 2724 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Brown Ale, critique
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:35 am »
Going to make a brown ale. Haven't made one in a good long while. Looking for a mid-gravity more malt focused version with a little balance from the Willamette. Big unknown to me is the Special Roast. Too much, too little? Thoughts on the rest of the recipe?

6 gallons
SRM19
IBU 28
30 minute boil

86% Crisp Maris Otter
7% Bairds Crystal 55L (12oz)
3.5% Special Roast (6oz)
3.5% Crisp Chocolate 375L (6oz)
*Mash 150F/40min and 160F/10 minutes

14g Apollo @30
15g Willamette @15
15g Willamette @5

WY1450

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brown Ale, critique
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:48:09 am »
It looks great to me but I have very little experience with special roast as well. I can say that I don't think that amount would be too much...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:12 am »
I think your recipe looks good to me. I have used special roast a few times in a Red Ale, Brown Ale and Amber Ale. Definitely fit better in the Red Ale and Brown Ale. I wouldn't change anything on your recipe. Cheers!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:02:55 pm »
Ok, looks like I will roll with it as is. Thanks for the input. Going get this brewed late tonight and I'm excited because I haven't brewed in like 8 weeks or more.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:08:09 pm »
Ok, looks like I will roll with it as is. Thanks for the input. Going get this brewed late tonight and I'm excited because I haven't brewed in like 8 weeks or more.
I feel your pain up until last week I hadn't brewed in like 6 months... I am going brew crazy now with 4 brews planned for next week lol.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 01:08:19 pm »
The only comment I'd make is that special roast is a little more 'biscuity' version of biscuit proper. So along with Maris Otter's toasty character,  it would give you a pronounced biscuit/toasty thing. Not that it's a bad thing, just worth passing the info on. Personally, I like MO without biscuit or special roast, but it just depends on what level of that character you like.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »
The only comment I'd make is that special roast is a little more 'biscuity' version of biscuit proper. So along with Maris Otter's toasty character,  it would give you a pronounced biscuit/toasty thing. Not that it's a bad thing, just worth passing the info on. Personally, I like MO without biscuit or special roast, but it just depends on what level of that character you like.

Thanks for that. Yes I would like some of that toast/biscuit/nutty flavor. I guess that is the unknown… how much of that do I want, and how much will I get with 6oz? Not sure. My thinking (hope) was at that level it would be noticeable and pair nicely with the roast (chocolate) and not be dominated by it.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:15:08 pm »
beware too that Crisp Chocolate is more like 450L too - gives more of a dark/bitter chocolate flavor than a milk chocolate flavor like some of the American maltsters do which are more in the 300L.

I like your recipe and my Oso-Oso brown is similar, although I split my chocolate 2% to Crisp regular Chocolate and 2% to Pale Chocolate.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:51 pm »
beware too that Crisp Chocolate is more like 450L too - gives more of a dark/bitter chocolate flavor than a milk chocolate flavor like some of the American maltsters do which are more in the 300L.

I like your recipe and my Oso-Oso brown is similar, although I split my chocolate 2% to Crisp regular Chocolate and 2% to Pale Chocolate.
That's good info, thank you. I double checked and the Crisp Chocolate I have is rated at 375ºL. Got it from Williams Brewing and it says "Crisp Chocolate Malt 375ºL" right on the bag. However, the BSG website confirms what you said. https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/crisp-chocolate-25-kg Maybe they make 2 different darker (non-pale) chocolate malts? To make things more confusing Beersmith rates Crisp Chocolate at 630ºL. Ugh!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 08:04:52 am »

That's good info, thank you. I double checked and the Crisp Chocolate I have is rated at 375ºL. Got it from Williams Brewing and it says "Crisp Chocolate Malt 375ºL" right on the bag. However, the BSG website confirms what you said. https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/crisp-chocolate-25-kg Maybe they make 2 different darker (non-pale) chocolate malts? To make things more confusing Beersmith rates Crisp Chocolate at 630ºL. Ugh!

°L ≠ SRM ≠ EBC

375°L ≈ 505 SRM ≈ 1000 EBC

SRM values are what I use in Beersmith. So for Crisp Chocolate 375°L Malt I would use 505 SRM in Beersmith.  I have to make the same adjustment with Patagonia Perla Negra Malts.

Edit:
BTW, I like the recipe as-is. I'd brew it as it stands and adjust next time (if needed).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:06:31 am by stpug »

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 12:47:17 pm »

°L ≠ SRM ≠ EBC

375°L ≈ 505 SRM ≈ 1000 EBC

SRM values are what I use in Beersmith. So for Crisp Chocolate 375°L Malt I would use 505 SRM in Beersmith.  I have to make the same adjustment with Patagonia Perla Negra Malts.

Edit:
BTW, I like the recipe as-is. I'd brew it as it stands and adjust next time (if needed).
Hey thanks for the feedback on the recipe and for figuring out my source of confusion. I knew that too so gross oversight on my part!

Made the recipe as is last night and all went smoothly so we'll find out in a few weeks how it all came together.