Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Take a look at this and help identify  (Read 1467 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Take a look at this and help identify
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:42:06 am »
Below are 2 pics of the surface of a finished beer I kegged lastnight. More than a few time I have seen this "film" on the surface. It seems quite mild, Its not on every batch but I have noticed it several times before. It doesnt seem to affect the beer, as far as I can tell. I have looked at pics of infections and pellicle? It doesnt seem to match exactly that. Its not thick, its not fury, or spongy, its not ropey, its not stringy. Its just a surface film that I havent been able to identify. 

The only thing tbat comes to mind is Starsan. Can this be risidual starsan, especially since I prepare my starsan with tap water and it does get cloudy and slimmy if left out.  This particular batch is an all grain Oatmeal Stout and I added cocoa nibs after primary fermentation.  1.055 OG, 5.4 mash ph everything went well on brew day. Beer cleared well, tastes fine, smells great. I mention starsan because as soon as I added my auto siphon (which had been soaking in starsan and was still went) to the carboy the film seemed to dissappear...or could have just been coincidence.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:45:51 am by PORTERHAUS »

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Take a look at this and help identify
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:00:55 am »
If I had to guess (and I do) I would say that it is just oils from the beer that are sitting on the surface, maybe from the oats or the nibs.  I have seen similar "sheens" on the top of some of the beers I have made, never seemed to be a problem but it was definitely there.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »
Yeah, it does look like hop oils or along those lines.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:47:12 pm »
I agree. It doesn't look like a colony of  anything. Just an oil slick. You're good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »
It could also be silicate residue from Fermcap-S if you use that. I\
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 10:20:50 am »
Thank you for taking a look guys. I have it kegged and carbonating waiting to try it out. Im going to pay closer attention to see when and what kind of batches I have this happen with.