Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spur of the Moment Brew Day  (Read 1030 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Spur of the Moment Brew Day
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:45:51 pm »
Well, I woke up today to find out that I had the day off. A nice surprise, so I decided to brew and I didn't want to leave the house. I looked at what a had (Pilsner and Munich malt, WY 1056, and various American hops) and decided to make my annual American Barleywine. I did two things different this year. First, I didn't use any Crystal/Caramel malt (didn't have any). Second, I boiled down 3/4 of a gallon of the first runnings to a thick syrup and added it back to the boil like Skorat's Wee Heavy recipe. Anyway, it really was fun today to throw a recipe together on the fly and not have everything planned out like usual. We'll see if it turns out alright.
 Recipe for 4 gal.
12 lbs Pils Malt
 2 lbs Barke Munich
1.5 oz Columbus @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 0
1oz Nugget @ 0
1 oz Columbus @ 0
WY 1056
OG 1.091
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Spur of the Moment Brew Day
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:48:20 pm »
Sounds pretty tasty, Dan. Be sure to post how it comes out. The boil down was a great idea, especially given the lack of crystal.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Spur of the Moment Brew Day
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:10:21 pm »
Nice, Dan. Hope it turns out well for you. Spontaneous brew sessions are fun, I do them on weeknights sometimes, for kicks.

Wonder what happened to Skotrat, lost interest in the forums? He seems to be referenced a lot still, surprisingly.
Jesse