Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long can I let a yeast cake sit before reuse?  (Read 10771 times)

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How long can I let a yeast cake sit before reuse?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:27 pm »
Much appreciated! With two little ones I don't expect to start experimenting with yeast harvesting, but at s
ome point down the road it's inevitable.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline bobh

• 1st Kit
    • Dry Wolf Brewing co.
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:14 am »
How long would you say is the shelf life of a mason jar of slurry that has been sitting in the fridge? I've got a jar of WY2124 and another of one of their special strains that is probably 6-8 months old now. I'm thinking that it's probably too old to use. It doesn't look any different than when it fist settled, however, and I have not done a sniff test yet either.   

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »
How long would you say is the shelf life of a mason jar of slurry that has been sitting in the fridge? I've got a jar of WY2124 and another of one of their special strains that is probably 6-8 months old now. I'm thinking that it's probably too old to use. It doesn't look any different than when it fist settled, however, and I have not done a sniff test yet either.   

6-8 months?  I'd take a Tbl or 2 of the slurry and rebuild it with a few steps of starter.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281