Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Strains for Low Oxygen Brewing (LowO2/LODO/LO2)  (Read 6315 times)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Yeast Strains for Low Oxygen Brewing (LowO2/LODO/LO2)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 03:05:30 pm »
I think the amount of residual smb going into the fermenter has more effect than the yeast strain does.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:14:38 pm by natebriscoe »

The Beerery

Re: Yeast List: Good/Poor Choices for LowO2/LODO/LO2
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 03:13:20 pm »

I have noticed that the beers seem drier than they did without this method, and I'm wondering if that is due to less of the caramel/honey oxidation flavors not being in there and changing the perception of how dry it is.

Yup, the cloying sweetness is absent.

The Beerery

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »
I think the amount of residual smb going into the fermenter has more effective than the yeast strain does.

Yup, thats what its all about, try and be as close to zero as possible.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 03:28:51 pm »
I think the amount of residual smb going into the fermenter has more effect than the yeast strain does.

I would like to believe it's this simple, and perhaps it is.  What I can say from my experience on two similar (but different batches) is that the results from 1056 and K-97 is night and day (clean vs gross, respectively), and that's using the same mg/l dosage and a very similar process (i.e. same process but different batches on different days).  It's this type of behavior that causes me to question whether or not yeast have some sort of pathway for "dealing with" sulfites.  Interestingly enough, K97 is a fairly strong sulfur producer on it's own without any added sulfites, which makes me wonder if it can't even "deal with" it's own sulfur production.  I don't know... just kind of thinking out loud I guess.

I still think there's use in generating a list of strains that are known to be good for low oxygen brewing because when starting down this road there are enough other things to think/worry about that it's nice to walk into the process with a yeast strain that should perform as expected.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:32:06 pm by stpug »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:20 pm »

I would like to believe it's this simple, and perhaps it is.  What I can say from my experience on two similar (but different batches) is that the results from 1056 and K-97 is night and day (clean vs gross, respectively), and that's using the same mg/l dosage and a very similar process (i.e. same process but different batches on different days).  It's this type of behavior that causes me to question whether or not yeast have some sort of pathway for "dealing with" sulfites.  Interestingly enough, K97 is a fairly strong sulfur producer on it's own without any added sulfites, which makes me wonder if it can't even "deal with" it's own sulfur production.  I don't know... just kind of thinking out loud I guess.

I still think there's use in generating a list of strains that are known to be good for low oxygen brewing because when starting down this road there are enough other things to think/worry about that it's nice to walk into the process with a yeast strain that should perform as expected.

I like the last paragraph so much. No Lodo experience for me yet, but I have not brewed in almost 6 months (changing in 2 days). No attempt at Lodo this weekend after that much time off, but very soon. It will be a great to return to this thread and decide on a yeast that  plays well with this process
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 04:31:14 pm »
I have posted somewhere here with a paper on yeast pathways. I have no idea where though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 07:38:29 pm »
I've had good results with Saflager S-23 with LoDO methods.   Wyeast 3068 has worked great for a weissbier too.
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

The Beerery

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:54 pm »
I've had good results with Saflager S-23 with LoDO methods.   Wyeast 3068 has worked great for a weissbier too.

Slightly off topic, but I found it interesting. Weekly I google our topics and see what the world wide web has to say about our key terms. I once again came across a post from you on the NB board, pretty skeptical. Nice to see you gave it a try anyways and are seeing good results!  I love to see that!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Yeast List: Poor Choices for LowO2/LODO/LO2
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
I have a batch fermenting now with 1450, so I should have some idea about that one soon.

1450 with 50 ppm SMB - no sulphur issues
3711/3724 blend (50/50) with 44 ppm SMB - no sulphur issues
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC