Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starting to Keg  (Read 2220 times)

Offline smitty

• 1st Kit
Starting to Keg
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:01 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm going to be starting to keg pretty soon and I was looking for a little advice and help.  Basically what I'm looking to get is a double tap kegerator:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/HBF05EABB-2.shtml

And a dual tap system with the works:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

I'm curious, am I missing anything needed to get started?  Am I going overboard?  About how long can I expect a 5lbs tank to last supporting two kegs?

Thanks for the help.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Starting to Keg
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:53:14 am »
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:38:31 am »
You are definately NOT going oveboard.  I got a 2 keg system back in December, but since have bought 3 more kegs to go with it.  I'm only kicking myself now because I didn't get the 2 regulator setup so I have to stick with styles that have the same carbonation levels.

I'd say go as big as you can afford now...it will be cheaper in the long run.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »
Get a bigger tank. You won't regret it and it shouldn't cost any more to fill than a 5#'er.

Congrats on going with kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline smitty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:34:33 pm »
Thanks for the help everybody.  Happy Brewing.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44:55 am »
If you start with a normal sized fridge, you will have room for future expansion, or bonus fridge space for other random stuff.  Plus, you can get fairly good fridges off craigslist and such for fairly reasonable prices.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
I have a Sanyo fridge as our under-bar beverage fridge...it is convertible to a 2-corny kegerator plus hold a CO2 tank.  I am not using it now, but it is now an option for future expansion. 

I was using an old freezer, but upgraded.  I bought a fridge on Craig''s list and am REALLY happy I have it.  It holds 4 corny's with the faucets thru the door.  Now my freezer is my fermentation chamber.  Things I wish I had done out of the gates are

1. Not cut cost on regulators.  My low-pressure regulators have a crappy scale and I need to replace them
2. Maybe bought MicroMatic regulators or found big knobs to adjust...the screwdriver is a pain
3. Set up with 1 low-pressure regulator per keg
4. After you get a couple kegs track down the McMaster-Carr part numbers for replacement parts
5. Do not accidentally switch kegs and parts...sometimes they are hard to get to work when they get separated.

I am sure a lot of people have more great advice.  Kegging was the bigger time-saver than I ever imagined.  Now I brew more...
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider