Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Interview questions  (Read 3431 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Interview questions
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:39:06 am »
I am opening a brewery and the local newspaper is doing an article on breweries in my area. I am trying to anticipate some of the questions they will ask so I don't stumble through my answers like an idiot. Here are a few I expect.

tell me about the name of the brewery
what is your favorite beer/brewery
what kind of beer will you have on tap

What else would you expect of newspaper writer with average knowledge of beer and breweries to ask a new brewery that is about to open?

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
Re: Interview questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:06:55 am »
Where are you opening the brewery? They'll likely ask you why you decided to open it in [city].
Matt Bolling

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:44 am »
Who are you, what is your background, how did you become interested in opening a brewery?
How is this brewery different from others?  What makes your beers or brewery unique?
Will you have a taproom?
Will you serve food?  What kind of food?
When will the first beers be available?
Where will your products be distributed and sold?
Will you be selling bottles or kegs of beer?  Growlers?
Will you serve commercial beers in addition to your own products?
What is your location and hours open to the public (if any)?
Will you be participating in local brew festivals?
Will you offer tours of the brewing process?
Will your pub/hall be available for reservations for weddings and celebrations?
Is there a website or phone number where people can learn more?  Facebook page?

Good luck...
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:39 am »
Based on my experience, I'd be surprised it they got into that much depth.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:51:42 am »

The one time they do will be the one time you don't have the answers ready to go.
Murphy's law will prevail.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:38 pm »
Thanks guys.

I wonder if they will ask my favorite curse word, or to omit the word balance when describing my beers. ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »
Thanks guys.

I wonder if they will ask my favorite curse word, or to omit the word balance when describing my beers. ;)

Well, ya know _I_ would!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:32:25 pm »
Depending on where you live they also might ask about environmental impact, especially water usage and what your plans are for spent grain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »
Depending on where you live they also might ask about environmental impact, especially water usage and what your plans are for spent grain.

Unless the reporter is someone who knows about beer, which is unlikely, I doubt they'll know enough to ask these kinds of questions.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 02:32:07 pm »
The biggest question and hurdle I have faced is when asked about other local competitors. Be sure to be kind and gracious even if you don't like the other brewery/breweries or their beer.

They will usually ask you about your brewing experience or what inspired you to brew.

Outside of that pretty straightforward.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »

Unless the reporter is someone who knows about beer, which is unlikely, I doubt they'll know enough to ask these kinds of questions.
Came up in a local council Q&A session in a small NC county considering allowing brew pub expansion.  One council member said it, so now all the local press are repeatedly asking it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:43 am »
Had the interview last night and it went well. No surprise questions. I am not very good at telling "the story" of the brewery, but I don't think I ever put my foot in my mouth. Thanks for the suggestions.
The biggest question and hurdle I have faced is when asked about other local competitors. Be sure to be kind and gracious even if you don't like the other brewery/breweries or their beer.

They will usually ask you about your brewing experience or what inspired you to brew.

She didn't ask about local competitors, but I am always careful to speak well of them. There is no point badmouthing another local brewer - you can come off as catty and disrespectful.

coastsidemike

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 09:05:22 am »
Had the interview last night and it went well. No surprise questions. I am not very good at telling "the story" of the brewery, but I don't think I ever put my foot in my mouth. Thanks for the suggestions.

She didn't ask about local competitors, but I am always careful to speak well of them. There is no point badmouthing another local brewer - you can come off as catty and disrespectful.

Something I hear locally, and I don't know if it is true or a myth: there needs to be a critical mass of local breweries in a given area to attract tourism.  You could highlight differences and the value of visiting all, including things for foodies and non-beer visitors.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49:45 am »

Agree but I have had them word the questions so that they are obviously trying to strike up some antagonism (what journalist doesn't like antagonism?).