Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie here. Water question.  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Newbie here. Water question.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 10:45:42 am »
It's all so easy though. Seems like a no brainer to craft your water from scratch using RO or distilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new brewer has a lot of other things to deal with before that.  I made award winning beers for 10 years before I ever did anything more than add a tsp. pf gypsum for hoppy beers.

Yeah, same here. Getting pH loosely in the ballpark is big, but past that we obsess quite a bit over every last ppm like it's life and death.
Guilty as charged!  But then, messing around on Bru'nwater can be part of the fun of homebrewing.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 11:30:48 am »
Guilty as charged!  But then, messing around on Bru'nwater can be part of the fun of homebrewing.

Once you get to that point and everything else is handled, sure.  But it's nothing for a new extract brewer to concern himself with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »

Once you get to that point and everything else is handled, sure.  But it's nothing for a new extract brewer to concern himself with.
Agreed!  Especially when you're doing extract brews while you get your basic process down.  Just go with RO or distilled.  The water minerals are already in the extract.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 02:00:03 pm »

Agreed!  Especially when you're doing extract brews while you get your basic process down.  Just go with RO or distilled.  The water minerals are already in the extract.

I agree, too. For me, living in the Midwest with crappy water, I had to figure out the pH angle to make some beers come out great. Other ones did come out good. But the new brewer has a lot on his/her plate, and nailing down a specific water profile isn't necessary. Time better spent on temp control and sanitation.
Jon H.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 09:50:54 pm »
It's all so easy though. Seems like a no brainer to craft your water from scratch using RO or distilled.

A new brewer has a lot of other things to deal with before that.  I made award winning beers for 10 years before I ever did anything more than add a tsp. pf gypsum for hoppy beers.

Yeah, same here. Getting pH loosely in the ballpark is big, but past that we obsess quite a bit over every last ppm like it's life and death.

I didn't even know or worry about that.  Admittedly, I have good water to start with.

Dangit here we go.  How do you define "good water"  : ) 

Big Monk

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 10:09:49 pm »

I didn't even know or worry about that.  Admittedly, I have good water to start with.

Dangit here we go.  How do you define "good water"  : )

If I had to take a stab I'd say relatively soft and low in bicarbonate.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 10:22:00 pm »
Denny's water is from a well that is fed from an aquifer refilled by Cascadian snow melt. It likely hovers around 50ppm TDS with none of the minerals we care about being over 10ppm.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2016, 12:12:03 am »
Seems to me that there is no aspect of brewing that is wrong to master. But it's OK to not master them all. And especially not necessary to master any of them prior to your first brew day. Lately I have been in cruise control mode, not really concerning myself with study. Just brewing beer based on things I spent a few years trying to understand. I think that's OK too. Some day no doubt I will put my thinking cap back on and try to master some new element of the hobby.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2016, 06:17:26 am »
I had to figure out the pH angle to make some beers come out great....nailing down a specific water profile isn't necessary.

At the beginning level, that is what we need to get across. Improper wort pH will confound anyone, but its the element that everyone...including beginners have to address to have a decent chance at creating beers that they can admire. In most cases, tap water has too much alkalinity and your wort and beer pH will be higher than desirable. Dull, flabby, and even icky beer is often the result.

The mineral profile is much less a concern...unless the water crunches when you drink it.

If you are lucky enough to have a water source that is nearly mineral free, you have a decent chance of success. A lack of minerals is unlikely to ruin a beer. But we all need to pay attention to pH. All brewing requires acid in some form.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 06:55:41 am »
Denny's water is from a well that is fed from an aquifer refilled by Cascadian snow melt. It likely hovers around 50ppm TDS with none of the minerals we care about being over 10ppm.
This is true. Portland's water is collected up on Mt. Hood, and has extremely low TDS. I wish I had water like that. Hey, I do from the RO machine!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2016, 07:39:07 am »
This is true. Portland's water is collected up on Mt. Hood, and has extremely low TDS. I wish I had water like that. Hey, I do from the RO machine!

Yeah, I'm envious of people with water like that. But like you, I've made the TDS meter and RO machines part of my routine and it's just part of the process now.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 07:43:33 am »
Very envious of people with good water!

Thank god for an RO system..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeTQTjhwfLM

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 07:51:35 am »

My water is 630 TDS. :(

I have used the machine at the grocery store. The dual meter you have is pretty slick. What RO system do you have? I am getting tired of lugging the 5 gallon jugs around, my be be present to myself this year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

The Beerery

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 08:01:04 am »

I have used the machine at the grocery store. The dual meter you have is pretty slick. What RO system do you have? I am getting tired of lugging the 5 gallon jugs around, my be be present to myself this year.

YIKES

I run this unit, with the DI disconnected.

https://airwaterice.com/reefkeepers-rodi/typhoon-5-stage-rodi-reefkeeper.html

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 08:18:53 am »

YIKES

I run this unit, with the DI disconnected.

https://airwaterice.com/reefkeepers-rodi/typhoon-5-stage-rodi-reefkeeper.html

Why do you have the DI disconnected? Because you are at 3 TDS.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild