Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ever changing palate  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
ever changing palate
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:18:54 am »
The same beer can taste significantly different to me from day to day; homebrew or commercial. I was discussing this with my buddy and he mentioned a lot of that can be related to changes body chemistry. Does anyone have any information on that? I realize that there are probably a lot of factors that can affect taste especially recently consumed food or drink.

I have just started to look into and I am finding more about how your palate can change as you age. This is just an exercise of curiosity. 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: ever changing palate
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:43:56 am »
sometimes when I feel my beer tastes different (i.e. not as good , I take a few days/week off from having any and am amazed at how great it tastes when I go back to it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:54:30 am »
Beer never tastes right when I'm hung over.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:18 am »
sometimes when I feel my beer tastes different (i.e. not as good , I take a few days/week off from having any and am amazed at how great it tastes when I go back to it.

Same here. A lot of things come into play for me - mood, fatigue, allergy issues, food eaten, whatever beer I had before it, etc.
Jon H.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:59:46 am »
Beer never tastes right when I'm hung over.
\
Funny how that works!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:57:15 am »
I've found that my beer's taste (or my perception of it!) changes over time. I've perceived increases and decreases in the matter of a day. I can only assume that it has something to do with my condition and setting, since I don't think the beer itself changes that drastically.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:29:03 am »
I'm guessing our ability to perceive aroma is one factor that shifts almost constantly. There are also psychological things like mood and associations. There is a famous restaurant that does things like putting little cow statues that "moo" when picked up. The resulting laughter and good mood ends up actually making people perceive the food as tasting better.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »
I get this way too. A beer will taste amazing one day, then "meh" the next day. I think a lot of it has to do with mood, but also what you've eaten. I like to eat spicy food...a lot, so it really f*cks with the palate, even hours later, I believe. But, yeah, palates are bipolar like that. Sometimes, I'll perceive a beer differently even halfway through a pint. The first sip or two is always the best.
Jesse

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:17:50 am »
It seems to me that home brew tends to be perceived as "changing" more frequently the younger it is. Once any beer has been tapped for a week or so it doesn't seem to be perceived as changing that frequently

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 06:21:41 am »
The best time to taste beer (especially for off flavors) is in the morning before you have assaulted your taste buds and sinuses with 100s of other flavors and aromas. When critiquing beer I almost always do so in the morning as my senses are sharpest then. Make sure you brush your teeth. Eat saltine crackers if there is a flavor "stuck" in your mouth. Smell your arm (seriously) to help neutralize your palate.

Make sure your beer lines and taps are cleaned. Clean lines/taps can make all the difference in the world. Especially important if you are experienceing inconsistent flavors every time you pull the tap.

Beer tastes great to me when I'm hung over. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:29:41 am by majorvices »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 08:30:28 am »
My IPA tasted different after drinking lagers for weeks in Germany. It was like a rasp going over my tongue. After a couple of days, it was back to normal.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 03:55:16 am »
This is one big reason why I don't enter competitions (except that one time when I was tricked into it and, um, took first place). I have a small crew of trusted tasters and if they say it's good and I say it's good, then it's good.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 04:02:05 am »
This is one big reason why I don't enter competitions (except that one time when I was tricked into it and, um, took first place). I have a small crew of trusted tasters and if they say it's good and I say it's good, then it's good.
The best reason to enter competitions is to help raise funds for the host club in a fun way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 05:56:53 am »
My palate never changes. I don't like 95% of the homebrews I taste (including the ones as an apprentice judge) :(
Over time this only gets worse (so my palate does change!) Most of my homebrews are in the 5%, so at least that's good news ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 09:59:47 am »
My palate never changes. I don't like 95% of the homebrews I taste (including the ones as an apprentice judge) :(
Over time this only gets worse (so my palate does change!) Most of my homebrews are in the 5%, so at least that's good news ;)

Like all of life and all people, homebrewers assume brewing beer is easy and don't put the thought, research and *work* into brewing.  The easy path seldom results in quality outcomes.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton