Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CaraPils alternatives (two?)  (Read 20532 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: CaraPils alternatives (two?)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 08:52:08 am »
In experimenting with Beersmith 2.0 for Mac, when a recipe is converted from all-grain to extract, Carafoam is added in. I took it out (since I don't have any on hand anyway) but thought that was interesting--an assumption that extract brews would need Carafoam.

Then I took a copy of the extract recipe, added 8 oz of Carafoam (it's a 3.5-gal recipe), and converted the recipe to all-grain, and the Carafoam was eliminated (still there, but at 0.0 ounces).

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:42 am »
The thing about CaraPils in extract is that you can't control the mash in extract, so adding it in will give you more mouthfeel. The reason I feel carapils isn't really necessary is because you can mash higher with all grain and pretty much give you the same effect as if you mashed lower and added carapils.

That said, I do agree that carapils does give some flavor enhancement, so I take it back that it is completely worthless. I just don't ever really have a need for it in my brewery.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 12:04:18 pm »
The thing about CaraPils in extract is that you can't control the mash in extract, so adding it in will give you more mouthfeel. The reason I feel carapils isn't really necessary is because you can mash higher with all grain and pretty much give you the same effect as if you mashed lower and added carapils.

That said, I do agree that carapils does give some flavor enhancement, so I take it back that it is completely worthless. I just don't ever really have a need for it in my brewery.

All points here make sense (that it might be useful for extract brewing but isn't useful for you personally). I am experimenting with extract brewing and plan to do the same batch successively (a recipe I have done in AG several times with great results). Maybe I'll do it without Carapils to start with and then try it next time with Carapils. Other variations include with and without a mini-mash.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 12:26:41 pm »
I wonder if extract manufacturers add an anti-foam agent to speed up their process.  Back when I was brewing extract beers, I used to add lots of steeped carapils to enhance head retention (without much success).  When I switched to all-grain, I could eat the beer head with a spoon.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »
I wonder if extract manufacturers add an anti-foam agent to speed up their process.  Back when I was brewing extract beers, I used to add lots of steeped carapils to enhance head retention (without much success).  When I switched to all-grain, I could eat the beer head with a spoon.

I've been looking into the production of extract for our next book and nothing I've found would lead me to believe that they do.  I think it has more to do with the fact that extract has a lower protein level due to the processing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 01:38:59 pm »
Keep in mind that it appears fermentation may have more to do with foam than ingredients....http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 02:19:31 pm »
Keep in mind that it appears fermentation may have more to do with foam than ingredients....http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Fermentation and mashing(step) for sure. I find pale ale malt to have more positive foam properties as well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 02:30:36 pm »
Fermentation and mashing(step) for sure. I find pale ale malt to have more positive foam properties as well.

All pale ale malt?  Is it at all maltster dependent?

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »

All pale ale malt?  Is it at all maltster dependent?
In the 2 that I used it has been the same, Rahr and Weyermann.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 03:55:21 pm »
After using Barke Vienna and Barke Munich in my Marzen recently, I can vouch for them being crazy foam positive, noticeably more so than standard Vienna and Munich.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 10:23:21 am »
After using Barke Vienna and Barke Munich in my Marzen recently, I can vouch for them being crazy foam positive, noticeably more so than standard Vienna and Munich.

Likely due to higher protein levels.  Have you looked at an analysis for them?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:52 am »

No, I haven't, Denny. I don't doubt proteinlevels are higher. I wanted to try each first before I sprung for the bag price. Ready to spring now, though!

Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 11:36:43 am »

My last lot.

http://weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/R205-001360-01.pdf

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 08:46:13 am »
Heh heh.......

http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/28/dextrine-malt-pt-1-the-impact-of-carapils-on-various-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/

Too funny! I can't remember what happened with my planned experiment, but I think it fell to the conclusion that I'd rather be brewing all-grain.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member