Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Brew Years Resolution  (Read 9263 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My Brew Years Resolution
« on: December 18, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »
With 13 daze left in the year, I've been thinking about and going over notes from the past year's brews. I've come upon a trend that simple uncluttered recipes are the best for me.  IOW, of the 19 beers I brewed in 2016 to date, the best beers had the fewest ingredients. The recipes where I have a laundry list of malts measured down to the 1/4 oz and two or three hop varieties were just "OK" beers.  Nothing special.  According to my notes, those beers had no distinct character or style. 

This follows Drew Beechum's Brewing On the One's talk at AHA and on BeerSmith Podcast a while back.  This idea that breweries cannot stock a huge variety of malts due to economics but yet they brew award winning beers from a select few ingredients makes sense to me.  I have the ingredients for Seymour's Citra Gold that may be my last for 2016 which is a very simple recipe of two malts and two hops that I am looking forward to.  I may add orange peel but I may let the Citra Hops take care of the citrus effect for me.

Edit: As I re-read my copy of Brewing Classic Styles, I stumbled upon this quote that I overlooked before; "My early recipes, like those of many homebrewers, were overly complex. Overly complex recipes are often overwhelming, and the flavors are muddy. I learned over time to simplify many of my recipes, and they are much better for it." D. Jamil Zainasheff

So... my Brew Years Resolution is to thoughtfully consider my recipe ingredient choices in 2017 in an effort to make great tasting beer.

What is your Brew Years Resolution?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:02:59 am by BrewBama »

Offline brewinhard

Re: My Brew Years Resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »
Well said!

I am currently making some well-deserved adjustments (and upgrades) to my equipment and as I loom into the New Year I am looking to try to increase my recipe repeat-ability. I really want to improve on my batch to batch consistency.

My only problem with that is, I rarely brew the same beer (recipe or style) twice in a year and end up waiting a good period before I revisit the same recipe again.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »
I think mine would be to stop trying experiments so much and just make some beer that I'm not disappointed with.  I figured that I'm happy with maybe 10% of what I brew right now.  I'm not saying that it is bad, I'm just not happy, something is always wrong in my opinion.  Everyone else says it is fine/good...but what do they know.

Maybe I can get my satisfaction rate up to 50%.

I also want to make a really good session hoppy beer that really "pops".  Again, I'm never quite happy with them.   
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:48:45 pm »
Being more consistent/avoiding mistakes/repeatable.  1.  During my last batch, a hose disconnected during the first run off.  The beer tastes pretty good in the samples but I need to get some clamps.  2. Use my new fermentation fridge.  3.  There will be lots more additional steps - to be determined.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:29:42 pm »
I think I'm tracking with you guys. For the past few months my brewing has been pretty routine and I'm really enjoying that. I've got a base recipe for an APA, IPA, and a Stout that are pretty fair. The exploration has been in hop variety.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »
Mine is to brew a lot. After the holidays I want to start brewing every Wednesday night. I did this during the winter two years ago and it was great. I can brew 2.5 gallons on the stove top biab starting a little after 5:00 when I get home from and be done no later than 9:00. I'll still do 5 gallon batches on the weekend when I have time, which is hardly ever. I'm getting some 2.5 gallon kegs to make this practical.
I have a longer stage goal that I want to start this year which is building a barn with plumbing and electricity that will be a brewery and commercial kitchen on the first floor and art studio and office on the second floor.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:29 pm »
I have a longer stage goal that I want to start this year which is building a barn with plumbing and electricity that will be a brewery and commercial kitchen on the first floor and art studio and office on the second floor.

When can I move in to get away from my crazy family?

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 05:00:45 pm »
My obsession with Bavarian Helles was re-invigorated after a trip to Bavaria this past summer.   I'm going to continue to try and reach Bavarian brew-vana.   :)
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:47:29 pm »
I plan to finish all my other projects so I can brew more often.  But to do that, I'd need to cancel everything the kids are doing... I've reached that point where I have no time.  Hopefully monthly brewing.  Hopefully.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 07:00:30 pm »
Hopefully I can brew more in 2017, that's the big wish. Extra hours at work and increased school activites as the kids get older have cut into my brewing time substantially for a year or two. Part of the deal. As a brewing trend, I'm slowly narrowing down my brewing to the core styles I really like best and working hard to perfect them. Past that, just wanna brew the best beer I can, every time.
Jon H.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 07:37:44 pm »
Next year will be the year I get to upgrade.  The only question is 15 or 20 gallons?  20 would require making more brewing friends to take some home.
Run then beer.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 07:42:22 pm »
I want to nail my house IPA recipe.  It is all about the right hop combination/ratio.  This one issue is the brass ring just outside my grasp.  I think I've been too caught up on new varieties - too much experimentation.

That and I want to buy another Rye Whiskey Barrel from Woodinville Whiskey Co. and give that another go.  I find that I am really enjoying barrel-aged beers a lot.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
My Brew Years Resolution
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 09:14:52 pm »
Just happy to be back brewing. My winter 16 goal is to build the pipeline. Buying beer, finding it is avg at best, has gotten on my last nerve. Also to put a lot that I've learned here in 16, to good use in 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:18:20 am by coolman26 »
Jeff B

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 06:12:26 am »
My resolution is to make as much beer as I can during the winter and summer months due to a very busy summer coming up.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 06:14:11 am »
Stop the damn kegging leaks once and for all.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.