Author Topic: My Brew Years Resolution  (Read 4921 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re: My Brew Years Resolution
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »
Stop the damn kegging leaks once and for all.

Try some good chewed up gum for that!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »
Stop the damn kegging leaks once and for all.

Try some good chewed up gum for that!

Are you sure? I was going to try out http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802627256321 :(
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
I want my brewing to get more in line with my household consumption. Have not brewed since July 30th, and am still sitting on 3 plus cases of home brew. On vacation the 22nd through the 1st and out of town. The following weekend should be brew day and I am planning on continuing the smaller batches I started experimenting with this year and just purchased a smaller kettle to more easily accomplish that. Good luck to all with your plans and have a great holiday season!
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron); House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  BVIP, Czech Dark Lager

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 07:27:53 PM »
I was able to upgrade my equipment this year which is allowing me to brew less. I know that sounds terrible, but I'm enjoying other things a little bit more as well. I only brewed 7 or 8 batches this year, which is down from 22 last year. Though I brewed less batches, I brewed two 16.5 gallon batches while the rest were 11 gallon batches. I would like to continue this more relaxed brewing pace next year especially with a baby on the way in April. I think 10 batches would be a comfortable target. If it ends up being 6, I suppose that's fine too as long as I'm staying busy with other hobbies.
Frank

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 08:32:58 PM »
I want to get a solera started.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 09:09:43 PM »
I want my brewing to get more in line with my household consumption. Have not brewed since July 30th, and am still sitting on 3 plus cases of home brew. On vacation the 22nd through the 1st and out of town. The following weekend should be brew day and I am planning on continuing the smaller batches I started experimenting with this year and just purchased a smaller kettle to more easily accomplish that. Good luck to all with your plans and have a great holiday season!
I too want to get my brewing in line with household consumption. That sure as hell doesn't mean brewing less. I love when I have enough homebrew and my returnable bin takes months instead of a week to fill up.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 09:16:26 PM »
My first goal for 2017 is to finish the kitchen cabinet I started in August so I can get my brewery/shop cleaned up to brew.

My second goal is to find a brewing schedule that fits in the rest of my schedule to brew more regularly.  Right now I tend have a lot of "Dang it, I have to get something brewed to keep beer on tap" and knock out 4 or 6 batches and then not see my kettle for 4-6 months.

Pretty vague, I know, but it's all I've got right now.  My son is employed as a Civil Eng now, my oldest daughter is doing her student teaching and I've got one in college and one in high school yet.  I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now at least.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »
Mine is to buy Brewing classic styles and keep it simple.
Also get a chiller and a pH meter.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 12:16:38 AM »
I too want to get my brewing in line with household consumption. That sure as hell doesn't mean brewing less. I love when I have enough homebrew and my returnable bin takes months instead of a week to fill up.
Actually Pete, I want to brew more often, just smaller batches. I only had like 8 brew days in 2016. So hoping for monthly brewing of 3-6 gallons rather than the 6-10 I did  for most of 2016

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 12:35:35 AM »
Actually Pete, I want to brew more often, just smaller batches. I only had like 8 brew days in 2016. So hoping for monthly brewing of 3-6 gallons rather than the 6-10 I did  for most of 2016

I was just joking that I can't seem to keep up with consumption.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 01:03:11 AM »
Gotcha. I could probably keep up if I would quit buying special local releases

Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 07:13:18 AM »
After about 3 1/2 years of obsessing on brewing, then a few months of stepping back, still brewing but not obsessing... this year I'm going to work on balance.  Brew when I want and what I want, fish when I want, ride my Harley when I want... adding in a dash of gardening, bbqing, noodling around on stringed instruments, camping, checking out the total eclipse etc.

I'm glad I went crazy on brewing and learned what I learned, but now I'm enjoying just enjoying it.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
After about 3 1/2 years of obsessing on brewing, then a few months of stepping back, still brewing but not obsessing... this year I'm going to work on balance.  Brew when I want and what I want, fish when I want, ride my Harley when I want... adding in a dash of gardening, bbqing, noodling around on stringed instruments, camping, checking out the total eclipse etc.

I'm glad I went crazy on brewing and learned what I learned, but now I'm enjoying just enjoying it.
Man, that sounds great. Glad to see you back here posting also, Jim.

I'm not typically a resolutions kind of person, but I guess if I had to come up with some, for brewing, that is, I'd choose to keep it simple, brew the styles I love the most, still working on honing in my low oxygen brewing process while not stressing too much about it, and just brewing because it's fun, not because I have to to keep beer on tap.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 03:15:48 PM »
I want to get a solera started.

Do you have a barrel in mind or already purchased?  If not, a simple solera can easily be created using a carboy instead. Just a lot smaller volume obviously.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »

Yes. I took my step back last year and then again this past summer. It's a wonderful hobby, but balance is key. I miss fishing (in fact I didn't buy a license this year), so that's also a goal of mine for next year.
Frank