Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Golden Strong  (Read 14748 times)

Big Monk

Re: Belgian Golden Strong
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 11:59:33 am »
The age old debate.

Fortunately 2 steps is all you need: β to α, α to MO.

I do 90 min. at 148, then add 190ish sparge water for a pseudo mashout.  Works for me.

Have you ever direct fire step mashed? The sweep through the ranges at 1 °C/min has a lot to do with the benefits of the step mash.

Not trying to change your mind but that was an "ah ha" when I first realized it.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 12:05:29 pm »

I do 90 min. at 148, then add 190ish sparge water for a pseudo mashout.  Works for me.

This is my mash schedule as well.  Recipe is just continental pilsner malt and table sugar. 
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 12:07:17 pm »

Trying to clone Tripel Karmeliet?  Fantastic beer...

Yeah, that is a great Tripel. Awesome stuff.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 12:46:20 pm »
The age old debate.

Have you ever direct fire step mashed? The sweep through the ranges at 1 °C/min has a lot to do with the benefits of the step mash.

Not trying to change your mind but that was an "ah ha" when I first realized it.

Don't recall if I've done it direct fired.  Also don't have a way to do that, so the likelihood of it happening is low.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 01:01:36 pm »
The age old debate.

Don't recall if I've done it direct fired.  Also don't have a way to do that, so the likelihood of it happening is low.

Understood. Just mentioned it because there is a big difference in the time it takes to reach step temps with infusions and gradually sweeping across a range of temperatures on the way to a step.

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 01:18:10 pm »
With the ease for me to step, I can complete a full Hochkurz step mash in 80 minutes, and get all the benefits which lies within. I do it for every beer I make.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »
I was considering a Narziss Enhanced Double Decoction.  Thoughts? Anyone used this mashing method?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:44:17 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 02:13:33 pm »

Understood. Just mentioned it because there is a big difference in the time it takes to reach step temps with infusions and gradually sweeping across a range of temperatures on the way to a step.

Is it bad if I hit the step temps more quickly than the rate you described?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 02:15:41 pm »

Literature says it can harm the enzymes is you step too fast. Because of this the standard is 1c/min raise.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 02:34:55 pm »

Literature says it can harm the enzymes is you step too fast. Because of this the standard is 1c/min raise.

What would be a sign of enzyme damage?  I respect the lit, but my experience is that I've had no issues doing faster steps through infusion.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 02:38:48 pm »

What would be a sign of enzyme damage?  I respect the lit, but my experience is that I've had no issues doing faster steps through infusion.

Right, I referenced literature here, as I don't personally have any data to add. I have my system setup to step at 1c/min as its software based and easy to do. But I can't say I notice a difference at 2c/min.  Obviously, traditionally with decoctions you will get a much faster ramp than that as well so, who knows.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 02:43:13 pm »

Right, I referenced literature here, as I don't personally have any data to add. I have my system setup to step at 1c/min as its software based and easy to do. But I can't say I notice a difference at 2c/min.  Obviously, traditionally with decoctions you will get a much faster ramp than that as well so, who knows.

OK, then experience wins and lit loses this one.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 02:50:41 pm »

OK, then experience wins and lit loses this one.

Well, I don't doubt there are very valid reasons with lab results that prove it. So I wouldn't say it loses. The thing with science is even if you don't believe in it, its still true. So while you or I can't say we can't perceive a difference, it doesn't make it invalid. If it was scientifically invalid it wouldn't be in the literature, see where I am going with this? I realize this is where we differ, if you don't taste/see a result you don't do it. But I still do it cause its "best practice" and may help, but doesn't hurt. No disrespect meant in that, but thats where I am coming from.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 03:15:09 pm »
Well, I don't doubt there are very valid reasons with lab results that prove it. So I wouldn't say it loses. The thing with science is even if you don't believe in it, its still true. So while you or I can't say we can't perceive a difference, it doesn't make it invalid. If it was scientifically invalid it wouldn't be in the literature, see where I am going with this? I realize this is where we differ, if you don't taste/see a result you don't do it. But I still do it cause its "best practice" and may help, but doesn't hurt. No disrespect meant in that, but thats where I am coming from.

Right and "loses" probably wasn't the best word to use.  But like you say, if I can't tell it makes a difference, I don't do it.  That's "brewing pragmatism".  Good thing about homebrewing is that we all get to choose what we want to do!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 10:59:43 am »
So no on the enhanced double decoction?  Only one way to find out I suppose.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)