Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressure transfer keg to keg  (Read 1786 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
Pressure transfer keg to keg
« on: December 23, 2016, 01:43:18 pm »
Wondering if beer can be transferred from one keg to another like pressure filling a bottle from a keg. I have a 2 1/2 gallon keg and want to fill it from one of my 5 gallon kegs to send the beer home with my son. This should work, no? Any thoughts?
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pressure transfer keg to keg
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 01:45:40 pm »
Yes. You need a short line with beer disconnects on both ends. Connect with lid PRV sealed and bleed off pressure as needed to keep the beer moving. Spunding valves help make it easier.

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:40:23 pm »
Makes perfect sense. Going to try this tomorrow and will leave feedback. Thanks.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 04:59:22 pm »
Makes perfect sense. Going to try this tomorrow and will leave feedback. Thanks.

If the beer in your 5 gallon keg is already carbonated be prepared for the transfer to take a good amount of time at a very low pushing pressure. Too fast and it will be all foam filling the keg. I have had best results by pushing the beer from one keg at a given psi (say 6-8) into the receiving keg with a regulator connected to the recieving keg pushing gas into that keg at the same pressure. This reduces foaming so a transferred beer doesn't foam up and allows the beer to maintain its carbonation. This is the way to go (if you can) if you don't have a spunding valve.
I have also used this technique to blend many beers from different kegs into one final serving keg (gueuzes, flanders reds/browns, biere de gardes, saisions).