Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Willamette RESULTS  (Read 6861 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 10:03:15 am »
Another option if you like experimenting is to repeat the brew with ordinary pale ale malt and then blend in different proportions at bottling, so some 25% rye, some 50%, some 100% etc. Twice as much work brewing though.

That's what I was getting at.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline DrewidBrews

• 1st Kit
  • Disc Golf & Beer
    • Drewid Brews IG
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 04:03:07 pm »
Well.... How did this end up turning out? I'm still new to brewing, but love a good rye. mash batches should be what i focus on for a while so i can understand the ingredients i have at my disposal.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 06:39:43 am »
When you pour those bottles it will look like the beer is on nitro (ala Guiness) with all those head forming proteins. Must see a pic.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Galaxy UPDATE!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:49 am »
Well I can't believe I haven't been on since May but I have been too busy with School and work to get any brewing going....But finally I just mashed in for this 100% rye beer with some minor changes...Same grain bill just not using that yeast or hops. I am going to use Willamette hops and Safale US-04. I know that it makes it a totally different beer but this is what I have on hand and it has been way too long since my last brew. I will keep this post updated over the next couple weeks!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Willamette UPDATE
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 11:37:34 am »
Almost finished with the mash and the wort isn't looking syrupy so I think the Beta-Glucanase rest did wonders. I also went with a thinner mash thickness. Looking good So far!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »
So just put this one away to ferment, hit my OG 1.040 right on the mark, I did notice it was a little more difficult to lauter than most of my 1 gallon batches, still wasn't as bad as I expected. Cooled to 68F and pitched yeast. I'll post with an update once I bottle it!
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:24 pm »
So just put this one away to ferment, hit my OG 1.040 right on the mark, I did notice it was a little more difficult to lauter than most of my 1 gallon batches, still wasn't as bad as I expected. Cooled to 68F and pitched yeast. I'll post with an update once I bottle it!

Cool! Glad to hear you finally got the experimental batch done and underway. Please post your tasting results.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
Well my buddy and I just had a brew day(brewed a Chocolate Rye Stout) and I bottled this beer as well. I used a decent amount of Willamette so the aroma is great and it has a nice color. I was going to add picture but forgot to take one... I can't wait to see how this one taste!
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 06:44:57 pm »
Well my buddy and I just had a brew day(brewed a Chocolate Rye Stout) and I bottled this beer as well. I used a decent amount of Willamette so the aroma is great and it has a nice color. I was going to add picture but forgot to take one... I can't wait to see how this one taste!

Awesome. Sounds good!
Jon H.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Willamette RESULTS
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
So after much waiting and anticipation, this beer was finally ready to drink and the results we surprising. Sampled this one this morning with my friend and we were very happy with the results. The color was nice and light, hazy super thick body (One of the links is a quick video showing a small pour and how slowly the CO2 moved through the body). The aroma was fantastic floral and slightly grassy , I used home grown Willamette hops at 60, 30, and 15 minutes. The taste is full yet slightly earthy and spicy with nice moderate bitterness from the hops. I gotta say this beer turned out better than I could have imagined and has added to my love of rye malt. I think I am going to step it up and do a 5 Gallon batch using a decoction mash to hit my rest temps. Overall very happy with the results and hope you guys enjoyed following the process! Here are the links to the video and picture.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByIAOIn0UWEHdXNqLWMxNVNudEE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByIAOIn0UWEHUTNLNzdrR01LOGs
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 11:56:58 am »
Looks gloopy, as expected!  Glad you like it.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 12:04:53 pm »
Oh yeah, classic chewy looking body. Gotta love the rye malt.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 06:34:50 pm »
Haven't used rye in a little while. Just put together a Saison recipe with Naked Oats, and now, rye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B